1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theory of evolution becomes slightly more credible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Oct 1, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And to quote Stephen J. Gould about the difference between facts and theories. I kinda thought they taught this shit in grade 9

Well evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape-like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That pretty much nails it. It's unbelievable that people try to discredit something that is just plain factual. Evolution, and all life arising from earlier forms of life, is a fact we have observed without any exception. It is factual, in so much as anything can be considered factual; one day the sun might not rise, but given that it is something we see every single day, we consider it a fact.

Charles Darwin's explanation for evolution--natural selection--is what is a theory. Theories are good things. It's our way of using educated reasoning (as opposed to nebulous things like "faith") for why the things we observe around us happen. A good theory gets tested over and over again, and if it withstands those tests it gains strength. Maybe Darwin didn't have the exact mechanism for evolution correct (and science continues to try to figure it out), but the observation of evolution itself has been established beyond any reasonable doubt.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think the science, evolution and the facts should be taught in schools, and if people have a hard time reconciling that with their religion, they should seek help from their clergy.

But speaking strictly from a spiritual/religious perspective, it's helped me to come to terms that the church doesn't have any definitive answers. Again, from a religious perspective-- I think it's normal to question God's existence, but if all the answers and "evidence" were provided, faith would not be necessary.

4. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Well, here's where some of the confusion lies - the scientific use of the word theory is not the same as the vernacular use of it. When people say "It's just a theory", what they're really referring to is a hypothesis. Scientific theories are a comprehensive attempt to explain evidence and predict future occurrences. Hypotheses are generally contained within theories and are a way to test the correctness of the theory. You can have a theory that is validly and logically constructed but is totally wrong (Lysenkoism, for instance, the history of which I think would give a lot of people who want to impose creationism some pause).

In the same manner, people think that a theory can somehow be promoted to being a law, but this is wrong too. Scientific laws are attempts to describe specific mathematical relationships, and as such there's never going to be a Law of Evolution. Compare the Theory of Gravity (as I mentioned above, not that well understood) and the Law of Gravitational Attraction (rather precisely known).

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sounds like sj has a resident scientist. Good post, RC. What exactly is "Lsenkiosm"? (Yes, I know I can google it but.......) ;0

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism

7. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Right. In essence it was a state-sponsored "science" that among other things held that acquired characteristics could be passed on. But they also violently repressed evolution because they didn't like the implications of it for Soviet society.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Except there is no definitive proof that we came from monkeys, which is why it is no more or less silly to teach students that nonsense than it is that we all came from one couple wearing fig leaves.....

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Great. Let us know when you're ready to pull your head out of the sand. The rest of us will actually try to learn something about science.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I believe what Zagoshe just committed was the logical fallacy of false equivalence. Could be wrong, though.

11. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

I hate to break it to you, but monkeys are just among the most recent splits. We also share a common ancestor with cats, dogs, snails, the dogwood tree and the common cold.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shhhh. All that science makes Plop's head hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted