1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theory of evolution becomes slightly more credible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Oct 1, 2009.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It wouldn't be politically expedient if there weren't a lot of idiots who don't believe in it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A whole bunch of people who grew up being told they'd go to hell if they believed it.

I still feel guilty about it sometimes.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The main reason I haven't believed in cross-species evolution: if there were truly evolution, the fossil record would have a continuous link between Lucy (and this predecessor) and modern humans, with the "transitional" species being in as great a number as other contemporary species. They aren't.

Darwinian evolution has too many holes in it to be accepted as absolute fact. However, creation cannot be scientifically proven because one cannot scientifically prove the existence of a creator through experimentation.

4. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

That's simply not the case. The fossilization process is rare enough that there's no reason to expect a complete record from "start" to "finish". That said, the record is remarkably complete. And besides, you don't need every puzzle piece in place to tell that it's a picture of a bunch of fuzzy kittens.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If there is no evolution, how do bacteria become immune to antibiotics over time?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Because God wants to kill Teh Gays, duh.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How do you know that Humans weren't created by God? And what if you are wrong? And more importantly -- are you sure God didn't use evolution to create man?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If there is evolution, why did it stop?

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know and neither do you. Therefore, we should try to research things a bit, no? Problem is, too many people are like "Well, I knows that Jesus done made me and that's a fact. Da Bible done said so."

It's those people I have problems with.

And what if I'm wrong? Well, if I'm wrong and I die and go to the pearly gates and God says "You have forsaken me", I'm gonna look him/her in the eye and say "You created Gigli. We're even."

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It hasn't.

From a human perspective, take the prevalence of sickle-cell anemia in portions of Africa. Sickle-cell anemia makes you immune to malaria, so a very high percentage of the population in certain areas has the condition, and left completely isolated, the entire population would likely end up with sickle-cell anemia as an evolved trait.

Lactose tolerance is also another evolved trait more common to areas where cows or goats produced milk so that it was available to drink for adults. In populations without this sort of access, most people lost the ability to break down milk by mid-childhood. Relatively few people of northern European descent are lactose intolerant while nearly all Native Americans are.

In other species, rattlesnakes in some areas are evolving to rattle less (because those that rattle are more likely to get killed by humans). Heck, new species of dogs and cats are always being created through forced evolution and selective breeding for certain traits. Asian leopard cats and abysinnians or tabbies have been bread to make bengals, servals and domestic cats have been bread to produce savannahs.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Chrissakes.

Evolution hasn't stopped.

That response sounded like that of a third-grader.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's a recommendation about those confused about scientific theory, fact and evolution: read some Stephen Jay Gould

Like gravity, evolution is both a fact and a scientific theory.

Draft saved Draft deleted