1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theo goes to the Cubs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 12, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In what way are the Yankees and Red Sox set at DH with Posada and Ortiz, two plus-35s who don't have contracts for 2012?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can't see either Pujols or Fielder moving into full-time DH roles.

That said, I don't see either one in Chicago either.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yanks have Jesus at DH, with ARod dhing once a week and possibly Jeter dhing once a week.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yep and Ortiz is still going strong.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Really? A guy with 69 career plate appearances has them "set" at DH? I am not saying he won't get that job, that would be the prudent and cost-effective course of action, but it would hardly be out of character for the Yankees to bypass a hot prospect so they could sign the free-agent flavor of the month. Not to mention Montero is probably the best chip they have if they want to trade for a pitcher.

As for Ortiz, it depends what's out there -- if someone else matches the $13M he got this season and gives him extra years, or if the Sox have a bug up their ass about him (as that article on the collapse seems to indicate), there's no telling how that goes.

I agree Pujols and Fielder wouldn't be interested in DHing. But it's foolish to say the Yankees and Red Sox won't be bidders.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Beckett might have weight and attitude issues but he was in the Cy discussion at one point and had one of his best overall seasons, statistically.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Montero isn't just a hot prospect. He is the No. 3 prospect who tore it up in his call up and has done well in the minors. They aren't shipping him off.

Anyways, Tex isn't moving over to DH either so they don't have anywhere to put Fielder or Pujols.

Red Sox have A-Gon at 1B and he obviously isn't moving either. Both teams are set at 1B with players who won't move to DH and neither Fielder nor Pujols will sign if they are going to DH.

The Yankees and Sox may fake interest a bit just to try and rise the price but its obvious they aren't really interested.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm down to one contact lens, so I first saw the subject line this way:

There goes the Cubs

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Though I don't deny that Theo may have grown a bit arrogant in recent years, I think he's going to be very successful in Chicago. He's not a fraud. He clearly knows how to pick people who are good at scouting. According to Passan, he's the name that comes up the most when other GMs are asked who they respect the most. Chicago is a sleeping giant. It might be good too that he can't fall in love with the hottest free agent on the market. Outside of Adrian Gonzalez, his record is spotty there (at best). But he not a fraud. He might be a douche and a liar but he's not a fraud.

10. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I know he was playing hurt, but based on the way Youkillis was moving around and how big he was, I'm guessing he'll be seeing plenty of time at DH over the rest of his contract.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If Fielder is going to command the kind of money Scott Boras thinks he deserves, than he's only going to get it from an AL team who projects him not necessarily as a DH now, but at the end of his contract.

No way a NL team gives him the years and the money Boras is going to demand, and likely, get.

Prince will be in Anaheim, Baltimore, Seattle, and if money really talks, perhaps with the Yankees or Red Sox, where he decides perhaps DH'ing isn't that bad after all.

I'm all for the Cubs hanging a contract around their necks they can't afford though!

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a good job short-term, because the idiotic way that team's been constructed in recent years makes it virtually impossible for anyone with a brain to walk into Wrigley and do worse.

Seeing the whole job through, after the early, easy cosmetic changes? Not so easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted