1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Then and now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Though it's a task to pick through the massive intellectualism displayed above, I'm going to go ahead and speak for everyone who's posted on this thread - both opinions - and suggest that there isn't much "screaming like little bitches."

If that's the attitude and vernacular you want to use, go find a thread on football or something. All seems pretty civilized here.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And Junkie, if you're speaking of the original post, it didn't read at all like a joke. I'd like to think I know unabashedly un-PC humor when I see it.

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Actually, my post never brought up the topic of humor.

And as a matter of fact, I have found more than a few of the posts on this thread to be enjoyable and lighthearted in nature while still presenting opposing viewpoints...and if you don't see that as a rarity to be savored, you obviously don't come around enough.

My qualm was simply that I didn't see a point in your troglodyte analysis of the thread in general.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Boy, that seems like a leap in logic.

Is it so hard for people to see that though we've made great steps forward in many ways, we've taken many (maybe even more) steps backward?

Oh, wait. I forgot. This is the age of everything that's happening now is greater than at any time in history.

I'm not idealizing the '50s. Hell, I wasn't around for them. But there are a hell of a lot of things that are worse now than 20 years ago.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

dools, you're no stranger to my non-PC ways ... no need to try and "call me out." ::)

And thanks, Montezuma, for getting it.

6. dooley_womack1

I'm saying that I'll take the more complex world of today, one that may be more dangerous but one in which minorities and women have significantly more of a say over their own lives, than the Pleasantville of the 1950s that in reality was not so pleasant.

And Junkie, how in God's name was the original post a joke?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I was around at the beginning of these so called good old days and I kinda like the way it is now.

Back in 1965, Toronto was an all-white city ruled by the blueblood Protestant elite.

If you were Catholic, Jewish, a foreigner, a woman or heaven forbid, a visible minority, you were shit out of luck.

All this "wasn't it better when" propaganda is compliments of the the "family values" crowd.

"And something is happening, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mr Jones".

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Another wild stretch in logic.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not at all.

The idealization of the lily-white, utopian version of the 1950s was a direct strategy of, among others, Newt Gingrich and the Republican class of 1994.

You could, as they say, look it up.

10. dooley_womack1

Well, Junkie, most presentations like this are done by unhumorous people in unhumorous contexts like a Reader's Digest article. So I assume it's straightforward. But that question is an angels-on-a-pinhead sidebar to the main point, I would say.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Okay, so it was 1955, but still.... ;)

12. dooley_womack1

I recognize humor just fine, thanks. Whether I ever bring it is another question, but I do know it. And trust me, I find a lot of conservative material humorous to the extreme.

Draft saved Draft deleted