1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

theloveofsports.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Sep 14, 2008.

1. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

Ordinarily, this would go under the jobs board, but it seems to me that despite the poster promoting "Aspiring Sportwriters" this this ad has nothing to do with journalism. Some wacky startup website called theloveofsports.com supposedly wants aspiring sportswriters to focus on the positives. No need to stress about steroids, federal indictments. After all, should we really be covering that stuff, anyway?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/wri/838900284.html

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If it's on craigslist, it must be legit.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh good. The domaine name theloveofpiss.com is still available.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

for the love of piss. [/petty]

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

They talk about "positive" coverage but have an article trashing San Diego State for losing to Cal Poly.

This is just another wannabe blog.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Ouch. A "wannabe blog?" That's like being a wannabe Eastern Michigan alum.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

No one ever wants to be a Directional Michigan alum. It just happens.

8. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

What about solid.com?

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I went to the site and read what I guess could be called a column on Vince Young and quickly came away with the impression that the site needs quality editors.

My first problem was calling the Tennessee Titans a "billion dollar corporation." I severely doubt the Tennessee Titans are a billion-dollar corporation or would go for that if sold.

This sentence was two paragraphs later, "While other players meld under the spotlight placed upon them."

My guess would be the author meant melt.

Mistakes like those kill any credibility this piece would have.

I also take points off for the only quote coming from NFL.com. Original quotes are far, far better. However, the author may be many miles away from Nashville or not able to have access to Titans personnel, making getting an original quote impossible.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Interesting choice for one "positive" feature: Cornelius Bennett, minus any mention of the time he spent in jail.

And yes, Mr. X, any editing would be an improvement.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't give him ideas.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted