1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Their stock price could hit zero for all I care

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Birdscribe, Dec 25, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

I'm no fan of big pharma, but add me to the list who think Birdscribe's anger is a bit misplaced. I'm more pissed at the agents causing cancer (pesticides, frankenfoods, cigarettes, car exhaust, smokestacks, chemical dumps, probably cell phones and laptops, etc. etc. etc.) than I am at any company not curing it.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

My sister writes grants for cancer research at a major university. Needless to say, the figures are in the gazultamillions, and there are accompanying ethical pratfalls (viz., animal testing). There are a hell of a lot of people getting rich just on the research alone.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My wife is a cancer research scientist. People aren't "getting rich" on the grants, they're doing the research being funded by the grant.

Yeah, it's huge money, but the science is insanely expensive. They're not running around buying each other sports cars and lighting cigars with $100 bills.

4. Herbert Anchovy

No, the humanitarians are getting substantial write-offs that can be spread out over tax returns for the forseeable future.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

??? ??? ???

6. Herbert Anchovy

Oh, please.

Don't be so naive.

7. The Big Ragu

I may be naive... But it's a separate issue from the fact that I didn't have a clue about what you are talking about.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Fine, let them have the writeoffs. It's legal, and the result is that important science is getting done.

If the tax base is depleted a little because of cancer research, I can live with that. Not a lot of better ways I can think of to spend the money -- unless you'd rather let Uncle Sam give it to Halliburton.

9. The Big Ragu

I'm still trying to figure out who the humanitarians are.

10. Herbert Anchovy

The modern day Rockefellers and Carnegies, that's who.

The American Cancer Society alone rakes in about $500 million dollars annually, with almost nothing (0) being yielded. You're smart enough to figure it out.

11. Bird...

First, no matter your feeling, everyone is affected by cancer. I have a parent battling as we speak.

Also, I'm a pharma rep. We exist only because you (society) want us here. Society wants drugs and lots of them. Scenario: People work 40-60 hours per week, some two three meals per day. As of right now, those meal consist mostly of genetically modified foods from seed companies heavily invested in by pharmaceutical companies. The FDA has approved genetic modification of corn even though research shows in general numbers that many bizarre diseases are beginning to surface from consumption. Yet, these little facts go un-investigated by our corporate backed and unbiased media. So, we're left to use our own minds.

Bird...stop eating genetically modified foods or foods that you are allergic to. Try to find a good applied kinesiologist to visit on a regular basis. An AK can give you an idea of what foods you are allergic to and point you in the right direction of healing your body holistically and spiritually. I'm not talking spiritually in the sense that a catholic priest can show a 12-year-old boy how to get closer to God...just individual spirituality in healing. The body can heal itself in many ways.

Go check it out, not one pharmaceutical companies mission statement indicates that they are in business to cure diseases...only to improve the quality of life of the patient. So, doctor, I have fire shooting out my cock...OK, take this...six months later, no more fire, but I'm pissing about 12 times a day...OK, take this, six months later, Dr. I'm not setting fire to the toilet seat any longer and I'm only pissing four to six times per day, but I have this strange shaking in my right hand...OK take this....and on and on and on.

Next thing you know, 12-22% of your take home salary is going to drugs and a person is living longer, but not in the greatest of health...what is the quality in that?

So get off the pharmaceutical companies because the only cure for cancer is to stop consuming Taco Bell and flouride laced tap water and start eating foods that are beneficial to your body and blood-type. My parent, diagnosed with lung cancer in May '05 and metastatic cancer in December '07, never smoked a day in his life. He was told right after the diagnosis by a junior oncologist that he had 90 days and to get his affairs in order...three years later, after intervention from maybe the top research lung oncologist in the world and our experimentation with holistic food consumption, etc., his recent pet scan showed very little sign of any cancer and his final radiation treatment could get him to cleaner slate soon.

With the clean slate though, comes the reintroduction of shitty eating and my parent is certainly guilty of that again...we'll see.

12. RIGHT ON DUDE...

Draft saved Draft deleted