1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Zack Greinke story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

I thought this thread was about Zack Greinke ???
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That cover looks out of focus to me.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That is exactly right. Hence the title, "The Zack Greinke story."

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Leave it to SI to not even show his face.

Had the story been about Jobu Chamberlain, it would have been a magazine-wide head shot, complete with the acne.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He has a nice butt though.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.) The story (if you read it) said Greinke refused to pose for the cover. So they used file art.

B.) I think it's a better photo than one of him smiling. The whole story is how crazy this kid's road has been. A head-on shot doesn't work.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I was wondering about the photo, too.

Am I the only one wondering how the guy is going to hold up now that he is starting to get a lot of attention for his success?

8. Why would he refuse to pose? Weird.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Greinke has requested no flash photography during today's game."

"Thank you for your cooperation."

:p

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's just Zack. I think I read he doesn't do interviews on days he doesn't pitch. He's just a different dude.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Richard Giffin's column in today's Star on Zach and the similarities between him and Doc Halladay.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/626012

It's strange that while the two biggest pitching off-season signings involved the New York Yankees with CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, the league's two best pitchers, the frontrunners to be the AL's all-star game starter, Greinke and Halladay, if handed immediate free agency, would likely have no interest in going to the Bronx.

"I don't think everyone understands," Halladay said. "Especially growing up the way I grew up and the people that I was around. That's the way it was. I played the game because I liked the game and I enjoy competing. It's not because I wanted to be known as something. I think that's hard for some people, especially in sports today. There's people that play for different reasons. That's just never been of huge interest to me."

AJ Burnett couldn't carry Doc's jock strap. .

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Neither could 95% of ML pitchers, what's the point?

Also, I like the cover, but is he really the best pitcher in baseball? Does anyone think he's better than Santana?

Draft saved Draft deleted