1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Zack Greinke story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

This thread will not end well for indiansnetwork.....nor did it start well.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He does bring it on himself. I like how he keeps adapting his argument, trying to find some area where he won't get his ass handed to him. He also keeps ignoring the posts that remind him of his original point.

Bottom line, he jumped on this thread and dismissed Greinke's problems as completely self-inflicted and insignificant. He said Greinke was a spoiled brat. Then, after many verbal ass-whippings, he completely backed off of that and turned to questioning the use of anti-depressants. No admission that he was wrong. Just ignore that part and move on.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Heineken, that's one of the best descriptions of how it feels I've ever read. To dismiss a wealthy baseball player's depression is to not understand the nature of the disease. You cannot apply your value system on Greinke. Maybe, for you (universal "you" being used here), pitching in the major leagues and making a lot of money seems like it would offer the ultimate fulfillment. But this is a kid who's been on that track forever. It's a job for him. When I tell someone that my job hasn't been going so great, let alone that I have suffered from periodic bouts of helplessness i.e. depression, I get a quizzical look, and something along the lines of, "How could you not absolutely love your job? You cover Big State U! You were the biggest sports fan I ever knew when we were growing up!"

No matter where you are in life, you must fight the "Is that all there is?" impulse. Greinke, I'm sure, always wanted to pitch in the major leagues. That doesn't mean that when he got there, his life was fulfilled. I'm sure there are Hall of Famers who look back on their life and feel like there must be more. And they may question whether those 20 years were the best real use of the limited time they have on this earth. Those thoughts creep in on everyone. Sometimes, they overwhelm, and that's when depression can become very real and very scary.

I would give my left arm to write one novel the quality of anything Hemingway ever wrote. Or Virginia Woolf. Or Hunter S. Thompson. And what do they all have in common?

I read something recently about how no one in the United States ever feels fulfilled because no one is looking below themselves on the econonic/social/intellectual ladder and realizing how well they've done. They're always looking above and realizing what else there is to conquer, then wondering whether they'll ever get there (and if they do, the cycle repeats itself, like greyhounds chasing the mechanical rabbit).

Nothing makes me cringe more than they following, oft-uttered phrase, usually said with incredulity: "What does he/she have to be depressed about?"

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Not that it matters, but speaking as a person of faith (though flagging at many times to my chagrin), I wish people would stop calling him a man of faith of Godliness or whatever, because it does the people who aren't acting like douchebags a great disservice. Most rational Christians I've encountered don't believe that depression is a sin or even that drugs are improper to fight it -- in fact, my former pastor (not Crass) and a good friend of mine once told me I should consider using them to fight my rather profound depression because that's a way God helps us fight the battle.

Those who do claim the Christian faith and call depression a sin are usually so marginalized by other stupid comments they make that the only people who take them seriously are those who disagree with their opinion and use their being gaytarded as ammo.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

A lot of zealots just have this hardon for anything scientific, and that extends to meds. It's absurd in my view. And smacks of insecurity. To take advantage of available science is not an insult to God. It's an insult to God to believe that one can actually seek Him out through the use of science. Like in the movie "Jesus Camp," where the wingnut says that "Creationism is the only thing that's possible. The only way." And she perverts and convolutes science to get to that juncture.

I wish these people would just accept that the nature of God is essentially unknowable, have faith that He does indeed exist, and then just wait until the time comes to figure out His true (super)nature. All these efforts to suppress science, like mental health meds, on religious grounds just makes them look like a bunch of little kids who can't wait five more minutes for their candy bar. Fuck, you'll meet the Man soon enough.

6. Outta Here

Outta Here Guest

Forgive me for not reading all the posts -- but even if its been written repeatedly: Go #*($ yourself indiansnetwork -- perhaps the biggest piece of spit/troll on this board ever. $*%& off and die ASAP and never take up any additional space on this board ever again you pathetic excuse for a pathetic excuse of garbage.

7. Guys, I make fun of idiotsnetwork as much as anyone, but I don't understand the time y'all waste either spewing vitriol toward him or trying to reason with him.

He's not a journalist; he works at a water-treatment plant. He has no credibility, no clout in this business and seemingly little intelligence. Just poke fun at him and move on. Trying to do anything else is just a waste of time.

8. butchie

butchie New Member

IndiansNetwork=Tom Cruise?

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Just popping in to say a Homer Simpsonesque "Woohoo!" to this news. I too spent my summers as a kid listening to Denny and Fred on the Royals Radio Network and I'm happy to hear that Denny is finally getting his due.

Back to your regularly scheduled idiot-bashing now.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, not quite yet. This kid also needs to say how happy he is that Denny's getting his due. Always a treat to listen to him call games.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bumping this up because I had been wondering about when the national media was going to jump on what a great story Greinke is with his streak of innings without an earned run.

Now I have an answer. He's going to be on the cover of SI this week with a feature by Posnanski.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1165251.html

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope they just reprint this piece. It was freaking good and most of the country probably never saw it.

http://www.kansascity.com/royals2009/story/1121806.html

Draft saved Draft deleted