1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Zack Greinke story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Feb 22, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I daresay I've learned more about depression than anyone in my family, both those suffering from it and those who aren't. I've gained a lot of perspective, but that doesn't mean I'm not still fighting that battle.

Greinke may be feeling better now, but I can assure you he is still fighting that battle. Every damn day.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

So it's his fault he's depressed?

3. My thoughts exactly. Why is Greinke being blamed for his own depression?

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

It is not so much as blaming him but him taking some responsibility for his actions and feeling but that does not mean I don't understand or empathize for him. He does seem to take responsibility for his feeling and actions which should be the focal point.
    And Buckweaver you are correct depression is not cured but more likely a life long learning experience that will never be completely resolved because life is to complicated and long.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

To say SSRIs or other medications are the wrong answer in MOST cases is bullshit. Yes, there have been studies done both to affirm and refute the negative effects of anti-depressants. In those studies, most of the suicidal numbers come from young people under the age of 25. Yes, that frightened me when I learned I had to treat the depression I didn't even know I had...but it's not like 6 people out of 10 in the world who pick up a prescription for any one of these drugs winds up deeper in the abyss.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hard to say someone can "take responsibility" for a condition that is involuntary. But he is stepping up to try to deal with it, which is to be lauded. But it's hardly "taking responsibility," as if he were somehow not taking responsibility before. That's just not true.

And indians, because life is long and complicated, finding more positive ways to deal with depression is very important. Medication can -- and has been proven to -- be one of those positive ways.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

That's exactly right. It is always there and that's the fear I was talking about. I'm lucky enough to be able to control it, but I can only imagine what it's like for somebody who cannot, as I could not for a while. Depression can be overcome by taking a step back. And then there are others who aren't so fortunate and need the help. No shame in it at all except for whatever is dished out by ignorant jagoffs .

8. shecky

shecky Member

Surely people with depression have to take some responsibility, but the same is true for everybody in every situation. However, depression is brutal. I have first-hand knowledge. My grandmother was a manic depressive who eventually killed herself with a bottle of sleeping pills and a fifth of whiskey. Why? Because we moved away. Three miles away.

Depression is very real. Medication helps. Please don't lay the blame on the people battling it. That's just moronic.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Or maybe it is God working in mysterious ways, huh?

For fuck's sake, you asshat.

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

That's, apparently, indiansnetwork's MO

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Great. Now I need anti-depressants. That statement brought back my memories of Jack Buck. I remember the crackle of the station, how it sometimes faded to static at just the moment that something marvelous was taking place. Ever game was a piece of heaven. Every pitch was part of the long march to the pennant. I can remember only bits and pieces: Ken Hill's major league debut, J.D. Drew's major league debut, Willie McGee stealing home.

The sad part is that the Cardinals, perhaps more than any other team, were a beautiful bunch to watch. They had speed and grace and, of course, Ozzie at short.

Depression is difficult for some to understand. It strikes people from all walks of life. I don't know that it's out of the ordinary. Quite the opposite, I think it probably stems a lot from a sudden realization of our place in the world. I mean, we're all going to be here for a few years and then we'll be gone. So, the fact that I woke this morning and realized that my living room was a mess two days after I cleaned it and shampooed the carpets was cause for mild depression. After all, we sprint just to keep up with life only to have it snatched from us at the end.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know, I had never thought of Indiansnetwork as spiritual or self-reflective before.

It's also nice to see that he is willing to serve in Iraq, I assume, since he is quick to suggest that others do the same.

So, bravo to you enlightened, patriotic, god-fearing person. It's nice to see you are walking the walk and not just sniping at others who have legitimate problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted