1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Zack Greinke story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Feb 22, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is there any medication that can help one cope with being indiansnetwork?

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I really, really hope nobody in your family or anyone you know has depression. It's more common than you think.
    And pulling random links off the Internet - which can support anyone's point for anything - isn't convincing anyone.
    You are a heartless idiot.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Karma being the bitch it is, I hope you get to deal with depression ... the real shit, not just the kind you get because nobody will hire your sorry ass. Having seen it in my family and having dealt with it myself (I tried the drugs and then got away from them because my system didn't seem to like them), it is a dark, shitty place that makes everything good in life seem like shit. I've been on top of it for two years now and think it's mostly because I acknowledge that it's out there and am scared to death by it. I never had even the slightest sign until I was about 31 and then everything went to hell. Keep thinking it's an excuse of the weak, douchebag. I might have said some similar bullshit once upon a time.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

More evidence that they not only do not work but cause a host of physical and psychological damages.
    http://content.apa.org/journals/pre/5/1/23

http://www.redflagsweekly.com/Thursday_report/2002_august15.html
    Quote from the article.
    Anti-depressant drugs’ greatest danger is their evocation of suicidal and/or homicidal feelings and behavior; both teenagers who attacked their fellow students at Columbine happened to be taking anti-depressants
    These drugs can also cause more bone fractures. Sure hope Greinke does not have a Tony Saunders type break.
    And Gastrointestinal problems.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12523917&dopt=Abstract

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You can debate the validity of drugs, that's one thing. But depression as an "emotional problem that is all his fault"? Where do you get that?

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Outofplace, I think it's safe to say that nearly everyone here knows that I'm not a journalist at all. With that said, Lester, I wouldn't wish depression on anyone. I've been in that black hole too. I'm 31 and this is the first time since I was 14 that I have felt emotional and mentally good about myself. Greinke didn't know how to deal with it and was scared. It's good that the kid noticed something was wrong and told his ex-manager and former GM that he needed to get away from the game to battle his depression.

We've been through this topic before and I'm in no mood to play doctor or rehash Tom Cruise's diagnosis of Brooke Shields. That's old shit.

Indians, you can keep calling it a pseudo-illness all you want. Depression, the serious type, not the "GF broke up with me/parent's death/moving away from friends short-term version, is a bitch. If not treated, it leads to suicide. Go ahead and keep rolling out the websites debunking it and how silly it is. For every site you roll up here, each of us can give you a personal story of what it's really like.

Personally, I feel insulted by reading Indians' rebuke of this kid and how serious this illness is.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Exactly. Whether drugs work or not is not the point here (although Greinke says they're working for him, and I had a friend in high school on them and she turned out just fine). The point is Greinke is/was a sick kid who is making an effort to turn his life around.

8. indiansnetwork

I am glad Greinke has done something to help himself and I am not arguing that depression isn't real because I know it is. I am just saying that drugs are not the correct path in most cases and sometimes cause more harm then good. I feel bad for those that become depressed but do realize it can be overcome by taking a step back and learning from it. Greinke might not be gaining from the drugs as much as he is from having perspective on his life in general. Depression is serious and is life threating and something we shouldn't take lightly.

9. So, for the record, now you're backing down from this opinion?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So which is it?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hmm...shall we listen to indiansnetwork and some links online or psychiatrists who actually studied and learned how to treat these things?

And obviously he's backing off, retreating to the part of his argument on which there is some debate.

12. indiansnetwork

Honestly, Yes somewhat.
    I might have trumped this up to get this thread started and bring some information to the table about anti-depression drugs. I do feel sorry for him but don't leave him blameless. I hope he can work this out and have some perspective on what he has been given.

Draft saved Draft deleted