1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The yoga must be working for Simmons

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Nov 15, 2006.

1. statrat

statrat Member

Thanks Doc.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Simmons is being paid to be creative and original. He fails dismally on most counts.

The collective Greek chorus here isn't being paid to do that on here, though it probably well should. Or at least be getting Billbot's check.

3. Floyd

Floyd Member

I think the fact that so many people on here are so anti-Simmons goes to show just how good he is at what he does. It astonishes me how thin-skinned you all are. He does what he does, and we do what we do. They are two different types of writing, if not journalism, and there's a place for both. When you consider the size and breadth of his audience, it's hard to argue that what he doesn't isn't important or valuable.

Look, I'm not saying that all journalists should write exclusively to entertain, but hey, there's a reason Simmons is read worldwide and newspapers are going to shit.

I like some of Simmons' stuff, I dislike some of it. But I'm glad he does what he does.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes, he does. Just don't ascribe any shred of genius or high art to it. His defenders here bray about his great niche-carving like he split the friggin' atom. He did not. He dried his eyes and took his 64-pack of crayons to a place where they'd let him color. That's all he did.

His clear lack of maturity as an adult and as a writer turned out to be, in fact, his greatest asset.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's more than a smidgen of hypocrisy in Simmons knocking Ryan for his relationship with Rivers. Bill is in the inner circle of the Celtics' devoted but clueless owners. That explains a lot, actually. The guys paid $350 million for a team and think Bill Simmons is an expert in their sport.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

WE'RE thin-skinned?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Sideshow Bill has the cellophane-epidermis championship all wrapped up -- and retired.

7. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I've never understood the Simmons bashing. He's the only sportswriter out there who can make me laugh. (Rick Reilly used to be that way.) I look forward to his columns like I used to look forward to Reilly's.

8. "If you want to keep working here, son, stay off the drugs."

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Say what you will about him not being a great journalist or reporter, but that's not what his job is. He's not the Celtics beat writer. Granted he brings some of that type of criticism on himself for still holding a grudge against the print media, but judge him for what he is and not what he isn't. In my opinion he is a great writer. He rights in a way that a lot of people can associate with, it's easier said than done. He's certainly not splitting the atom but there aren't many people who would be able to draw the readership he has over the time period he has.

An aside, I think he should be thankful for the way his print media career turned out. He would never get to write the way he does now, wouldn't get paid nearly as much, would have to write far more than two times a week, would have to travel, would have to deal with deadlines... I'm not sure what out of that he feels like he's missing out on. He gets to write twice a week from his house and gets paid handomely for it. That'd be enough for me to get over a bad gig a decade ago at a newspaper.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He should get on his knees, five times a day.

No doubt about it.

Does he?

Nah.

Draft saved Draft deleted