1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Yankees Blame Stub Hub For Poor Attendance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It depends what market, but I've seen plenty of Yankees, Mets, and Rockies tickets below face value. If you're fine seeing the Diamondbacks or Royals, tickets are going to be cheap.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The only expensive tix are for The Red Sox and Mets and maybe The Braves. Otherwise their are plenty of good below face seats available.

The problem for The Yankees is that they fucked with the free market when they moved to new stadium. They wanted to suck up the money that season ticket / brokers were making on their seats. They raised face value of tickets up to top value of what tickets sold for on open market for a Red Sox game. What they did not understand is that no one wants to pay top value for the Royals or Blue Jays. As a result they lost a lot of season ticket holders and brokers who would just buy seats to resell.

Old system worked great. The Yankees were selling out every night. Not anymore.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Lex Luthor?
    Don't be silly.
    They keep Jason Grimsley on the payroll for that sort of thing.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Is the President of the New York Yankees seriously railing against free enterprise?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This all gives me a warm tingly that the Yankees, in the absence of Big Stein, are on their way to becoming the competitive equivalent of the Redskins or Knicks or Maple Leafs.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

I got opening day Nats tickets behind first base for $35 on StubHub, and sat on the front row down the right field line for $9 a couple of weeks ago. I love StubHub.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, not sure what games you're trying to get into. But StubHub has made it 1,000 times EASIER to get a ticket to any game I could possibly want to see.

And if it weren't for all the prepare-your-anus convenience fees, they'd almost always be cheaper, too. I've been to NLCS games in Los Angeles for less than $20 (before fees) and got to an NHL playoff game last month for less than $50.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From a consumer price standpoint the market for Yankee tickets is much more price favorable then it was when there were "No scalping laws" on the books. Tickets were still sold but laws served as a deterrent from surplus of tickets hitting the market.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

somebody toss randy a towel.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Free enterprise is great, as long as the taxpayers are paying for your workplace. But if taxpayers figure out a way to save money, then it's unfair to the corporation. Because corporations are people too!

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Boom nailed it.

I actually just bought Yankees tickets on StubHub as a Father's Day present for my old man, who has yet to see the new digs. With the fees, I think they came out to face value (although I'm sure if I ordered them through the Yankees, there would have been charges added there, too, so I might have saved $10-$20). Anyway, the seats are nine rows back in the upper deck behind home plate for a Sunday afternoon game against the Angels and I paid a total of $68 for two.

Weekday games? You can get seats for $5, $10 each.

As others have noted, if they're on StubHub, they've been purchased, so I have no idea what Levine was talking about. Unless the Yankees are actually selling tickets on StubHub, and getting undercut by season-ticket holders, then I can't imagine how StubHub would negatively affect attendance.

And, frankly, I've heard rumors for years about the Yankees (and other teams, for that matter) selling tickets on StubHub. Francesa refers to the rumors pretty often actually on WFAN.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

ANY Braves game you go to THEIR web site and get diddly in terms of ticket choice. Stubhub has them all. I have the phone number to talk to a human at Turner Field and can reserve OK

Draft saved Draft deleted