1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The wrong approach?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Mar 5, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Snoopy Boy...with all due respect, and as mentioned earlier, I have moved on. and trust me, i have dealt with more than my fair share of pro athletes and situations. pardon me that i have intruded with such an insigificant topic.just thought I'd make the post and let the chips and replies fall where they may.
    now, pardon me while I officially move on.....

2. this is the best answer

i learned early on, when you ask somebody to do something, they can say no

when you just say, ok, let's knock this out, and start asking questions, it's a lot harder for them to blow you off

"OK, let's knock this out -- question one, blah blah blah"

just do it

3. micke77

micke77 Member

write then drink...yep, you're right.
    good point.
    very, very true...tough to say no using that method.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. Find someone else to flatter. If you were trying to score a date, I feel your pain. Otherwise, her loss.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

:)
    Nope, wasn't trying to score a date, so all pain was avoided there.
    We've got Bradshaw coming in next couple of weeks and having covered his career in college and NFL, I will have very little trouble getting a "TakeFive" interview with him. :D
    Plus, I got five others lined up in next week or so.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You are too courteous for your own good. You have to interject in her conversations and go something like "Coach, I need this right now, hate to take you away, but it will be five minutes. Is she says "no." then you go back to your editor and say you got shot down.

Reminds me of a time I was at some type of cheese and wine event for a golfer. I needed a story and he was busy schmoozing and wanted no part of me. Went up to him in between talking to some suits and took out my recorder and fired away. Said, "sorry after", and then went home and wrote. Got to do what you do to get a story. Brush it off and ask confidently. Be aggressive, not passive.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know how many times as a young pup during spring training I was burned by ballplayers who seemed willing to submit to an interview "but they gotta run first."

So they would jog to the outfield and I would never see them again.

You tend to take a different approach after that happens a couple times.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

yes, tell me about me being courteous for my own good. and in a profession where courtesy sometimes will get you to the front door and not past it. i have seen the errors of my way in being courtesy after this snafu. ha.
    and i don't mean this at all in casting any blame to other folks, but doesn't some of this situation fall back to the SID not following through TWICE on getting this to her. or getting back to me? i mean, think about it: this situation at the game never would have materialized had that been followed through in a timely manner. the reason i went to her at that game was because he said he never got her the questions and followed through on it.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

micke,

Sure, you can blame the SID for dropping the ball or the coach for not following through. But you really can't control them. You can only control you.

10. micke77

micke77 Member

ACE...you're right. damn, i analyze things too much. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted