1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wrestler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, HB, apparently Rourke called Bruce (they're old pals) and sent him the movie and then Bruce wrote the song. I'm guessing that's at least one Oscar lock for the flick.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's an amazing performance in a somewhat overrated film.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That scene he had with his daughter at the abandoned hotel was pretty heavy.

On another note, downloaded Diner and watched some of Rourke there. Good memories...

"I go to law school..."

"I thought you work at a beauty parlor?"

"That's just during the day."

4. Magic In The Night

Diner is a classic if only for that pre-wedding sports quiz alone.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Watched Gran Torino and The Wrestler back-to-back today.

GT wins hands down.

Really, both are more about the actor playing the lead role than the character the actor plays. GT is kind of an old Dirty Harry while The Wrestler is as much about Mickey Rourke's career as it is about his character Ram.

Maybe people like Eastwood more, but the audience seemed much more receptive to GT. Good crowds at both.

Thought The Westler could have been a better movie if it played more off the juxtoposition of Tomai as an old stripper vs. Ram as an old wrestler not being able to give up going out there one more time -- especially to '80s music.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'm for anything that gives Tomei more screen time in that movie.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I watched a couple of those New Jack videos. Holy crap, what a combination of hilarious and disturbing. The video with him, The Iron Sheik and Honky Tonk Man cracking on Abdullah the Butcher was ridiculous.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

90s sucked

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"Pope of Greenwich Village" (1984) is on right now. Hard to believe it's the same guy. They might as well have called "The Wrestler" "The Actor" -- it's practically an autobiography.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

Saw the movie last night. Thought it was OK for most of it, really liked the GNR scene at the end. I can see why Rourke was nominated for best actor, but I don't think he should win because I'm not really sure if he was acting. As for Tomei, it seems they gave her a nomination just because she was willing to take her clothes off and act like a slut. Nothing too much there.

Probably wish I would've gone to see Frost/Nixon or Gran Torino instead.

11. Magic In The Night

Lot of time in the gym or under the knife for Tomei to look like that at her age. That might get her the Oscar. Hollywood appreciates fine plastic surgery.

12. Sly

Sly Active Member

You might be right ... And i DID enjoy some of those scenes immensely.

Draft saved Draft deleted