1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wrestler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Dec 22, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Does Tomei get naked? Just wonderin'.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Actually, you would be very surprised.

FWIT, Bret and Vince kiss and make up. Shawn, not so much.

The book goes from his early beginnings in a big family, into the family business at Stampede, getting his start, going to Japan, the WWE, all the way through his bicycle wreck and stroke.

It doesn't pull any punches, but I didn't think Bret came off as a mark for himself, though I know that's his credo.

It made me dislike Shawn Michaels as much as I ever did, and made me absolutely hate his sister who married The Anvil. What a contemptuous bitch.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Pretty much. I mean, she's topless and not much left to imagination on the bottom. She's had to have had some work done to look like that at her age.

4. schiezainc

Anticipation of this flick (and other things) just rose for me. :)

But, I mean, it's not like I have a thing for Marisa Tomei. Like she would ever go out with a short, stocky, bald man.

:)

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Yeah, ask Mass Transit how that turned out for him :D

As a sidelight, check out a couple of the New Jack shoot videos that are floating around youtube.

Talk about a deranged, sick individual. Yet strangely enough, I kept watching...

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, New Jack is fucking nuts. I got a copy of the First Shane Douglas ECW reunion show and documentary. Paraphrasing New Jack, he said about Mass Transit, "The kid wanted color, he got color. I cut that boy up good." Watching him laugh about it, watching him shrug off the fact that he was responsible for the kid's death, was disgusting.

And New Jack wonders why he hasn't been offered a contract by Vince McMahon. McMahon may be a son of a bitch who doesn't care about his performers' lives, but there's no way he'll employ that dangerous lunatic.

RE: The movie:

Seeing it on Wednesday. Cannot wait.

It seems as if the Randy "The Ram" Robinson character was based on an amalgamation of Terry Funk and Jake Roberts and Ric Flair.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Hockeybeat,

I thought Rourke's character was kinda like the Hulk. But I know nothing of wrestling.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I thought about Hogan for a second, but there aren't any parallels.

Hogan could sign a deal today with WWE or TNA and instantly work in front of good sized crowds (well, maybe not good sized crowds with TNA) and be among those companies' highest paid performers. He doesn't need to wrestle for money. He's well-off.

The Robinson character is struggling. He's working indy shows in front of handfuls of people for a couple dollars. He's not making any real money. Look at guys like Roberts and Funk and Flair. They're in their sixties and still working independent shows because they have wrestling in their blood. It's a drug, it's a rush. In the case of Roberts (and, I believe, Flair), he needs the coin.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I haven't watched wrestling since the late 1980s, but Jake Roberts is definitely one of the guys I think of when watching that movie. Funk has been mentioned in several articles as being one of the inspirations for the main character.

And if we're talking about wrestlers from the 1980s who are still alive, I'm guessing Hogan and Savage are the only ones who could still draw a crown these days. Maybe Roddy Piper as well.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Saw it today.

Beautiful. Powerful. Sad. Thought-provoking. These are the words that came to (my) mind after seeing it. Rourke should win an Oscar just for the fact that he was willing to brutalize his body.

The Ram was a traigic character. A combination of Jake Roberts (his demons and failures as a person) and Terry Funk (cannot get rid of the wrestling itch), there was not going to be a happy ending for him. What he wanted more than anything else, he wasn't going to get. So he was going to punish himself for the pleasure of hundreds who only knew him as a wrestler.

11. schiezainc

My interest in this flick has waned considerably. I'm leaning towards a DVD rental now when I originally wanted to see it opening day. Stupid idiots and their limited release plan.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's a staggered release so that the public and Hollywood voters will be talking about the movie come awards season. It's actually a bright idea. Instead of a wide release and taking the risk that the public and voters forget about the film, they're betting that the film is so good that people will see it when it comes out and that will win some awards.

On a thoroughly unrelated note, it's been awhile since I could think of a song that was so perfect for a movie. That is, until I heard Springsteen's "The Wrestler." It's a perfectly haunting.

Draft saved Draft deleted