1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wrestler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, it makes total sense. The Wrestler is positioned so as to give as many Academy voters as possible a real long, good look.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

That strategy worked for "Million Dollar Baby."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Watching it as I type.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The film is one massive downer. Emotionally and physically brutal in every sense. I did feel sorry for The Ram at the start of the movie, but by the end those feelings evaporated.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Really? Bret Hart? Comon', I like the guy and all and I haven't read his biography but I suspect half of the book is dedicated to Bret's hatred for Vince and what he did to him as well as Shawn Michaels.

Don't get me started on his brother's death and the amount of blame he put on Vince for that, too...

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How is it?

7. Mizzougrad96

40 minutes left. I'm not sure it lives up to the hype, but Rourke is definitely great.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to see it sometime next week.

9. Mizzougrad96

Don't get me wrong, it's a very, very good film, but I was a little disappointed.

10. Mizzougrad96

It's a bit predictable. Not a huge fan of the ending. Not as dark as some have said. I wanted and expected a little more from a movie that so many have said is the best of the year.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Honestly, if that is the case, would you expect anything different? Those two events are what most people remember him for. It's not like you hear the name Bret Hart and think "Oh, he had a great feud with The Mountie in 1992."

To me, Hart was an icon and changed the way I watched wrestling. I can't watch to read his book.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I thought it was great and Rourke has a very good chance for the Oscar. Also, the supporting roles by Marisa Tomei (oh my, as a stripper) and Rachel Evan Wood are great. They might get nods as well. And Bruce's song is a heartbreaker and should get a nomination, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted