1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wrestler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Dec 22, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. I was under the impression that this is far from the first time a blade has touched his face.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

If it is playing in Toronto while I'm there next week, I will definitely take the time to check it out.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Plastic surgery is manking many people almost grotesque.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Mickey Rourke's years of drug and alcohol abuse played a greater role in how he looks today than plastic surgery.

On an unrelated note, this film is on my must catch soon list.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There's no way he didn't have at least some plastic surgery. None. I spent almost the entire movie staring at his face, trying to figure it all out. Boxing definitely doesn't explain it, despite his protestations that it does.

I think he's on the record that he didn't like being a "pretty boy."

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

How did Mickey Rourke burn his face?

Bobbing for french fries.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great performance. Forget his face and just take the movie in. His scene with his daughter about how he deserves what he got at the abandoned boardwalk is heartbreaking.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The blading adds to the realism (I assume -- I haven't seen it yet) because that's how they do it in the actual business.

If he really wanted an Oscar, he should have gotten New Jack to blade him.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, on all your points. I can't wait to see "The Wrestler"

If you haven't already, and like wrestling, catch "Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows" - absolutely awesome. "Beyond the Mat" was good, but I liked "Shadows" more.

Just finished reading Bret Hart's book and I put it up there with Foley's first book and Dynamite Kid's "Pure Dynamite" as the best wrestling books ever written. A notch above Jerico's. Probably a couple of notches above Dyno's (Sorry, Dyno).

Not to threadjack, but
    Best wrestling books ever written (IMHO):

1. Bret Hart
    2. Mick Foley's "Have A Nice Day!"
    3. "Pure Dynamite"
    4. Chris Jericho's
    5. Terry Funk's
    6. Harley Race's (Too short, and there's got to be WAY more Harley stories)
    7. Ric Flair
    8. History of the NWA (A dry read for most, but chock full of history)

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I liked Foley's and Dynamite's book quite a lot.

I have not read Hart's book because the guy is a complete mark for himself and lacks any kind of introspection.

This is my opinion based on living in the same city and seeing him in the local media and more importantly having friends who worked with him in the fed and locally.

Wrestling With Shadows was a giant work as well.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

It didn't work for this guy....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

An underappreciated Mickey Rourke movie is "Johnny Handsome," when he played a career criminal who actually did undergo plastic surgery to get his face fixed.

Very good. W/ Morgan Freeman, Ellen Barkin, Elizabeth McGovern as the love interest and Lance Henriksen.

Best line is when Morgan Freeman, a New Orleans cop, says, "Well bless my ass."

Draft saved Draft deleted