1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wrestler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I went to a screening of "The Wrestler" tonight. As I posted on the Movies Thread, I was kind of afraid to see it, because I was afraid I'd pumped it up so much, I'd be disappointed. That's what happened before I saw "The Departed" and "Juno" and I ended up not liking either one and being kind of mad about it.

Well, I liked "The Wrestler." I didn't love it and here's why: Mickey Rourke's face. I love Mickey Rourke. I loved him in "Diner" and I loved him in "Pope of Greenwich Village." His face distracted me so much in this movie, though, that it took away from it. I spent so much time staring at his face, trying to find Mickey Rourke in there, that I didn't get into the movie as much as I would have liked to. His voice is different, too.

It's a relentlessly depressing movie, and BRUTAL, but Mickey Rourke is great. I haven't seen "Frost/Nixon" yet, so I can't compare Frank Langella's performance, but I have seen "Milk" and Mickey was better than Sean Penn.

I would love to see it again, but it was such a downer and like I said, brutal, that I don't know if I can see it again. I definitely recommend it, though, and would love to hear some other thoughts.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

No love for Rumble Fish? Booooooooooo! :D

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never seen "Rumble Fish" but I have a funny memory about it. The review of it in the New York Daily News referred to Matt Dillon as "a monosyllabic retard." That phrase wouldn't see the light of day now, but it seemed so...possible. Anyway, I never got around to seeing it. I'm not even sure I knew Mickey Rourke was in it.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Mick Foley wrote a piece for Slate saying how much he liked the film.

http://www.slate.com/id/2207076/

Although I really shouldn't have been surprised, I was in fact stunned and appalled at the number of references to "I" "me" and "my" - eight, in the first 111 words alone. And nine more in the 104 words of the second paragraph. And five more in the first 65 words of the third paragraph....holy crap..... :p

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The sad fact is Foley could outwrite 90% of us on this board.

Really, really want to see this picture, mostly because I'm a huge wrestling fan and this is getting rave reviews. I don't know much about Rourke, but I've read articles on his comeback and it is an amazing story. Perhaps something that could be its own movie somewhere down the line.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Go back to your Mick Foley books

[/crossthreading]

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Luckily, I'm in the 10 per cent. :)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

No you're not. You suck. You haven't even written a book yet, jerkface. :D :D :D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ah, but I have! Nyah, nyah. ;D

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The what now?

/ducking

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Anyone know when this goes into wide release?

Draft saved Draft deleted