1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The worst NFL starting quarterback during the Super Bowl era

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Oct 21, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Geez - I remember reading Peter King gush about Brooks.

Can't believe David Woodley hasn't been named yet - he actually started a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer has to be the worst winning Super Bowl QB.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Woodley actually has a decent won loss record, but he did suck.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Jon Kitna

Daunte Culpepper gets a special asterisk: He was actually very good before his injuries, but after returning and packing on 60-70 pounds, he was as bad as any QB who ever set foot on an NFL field.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

HA! I saw Starman had the most recent post here and said "I bet he writes Jon Kitna." Awesome! :D

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Which is why Don Strock always had to come bail him out (Ex: The Chargers-Dolphins playoff extravaganza in the early 80s). I was always wondering why Strock just didn't start the games himself.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Crappumper was worse -- not only worse, but MUCH worse.

But of course he was a "savvy seasoned veteran leader."

Like Kitna. And Jeffthrey Garthia before them.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There were a lot of Patriot no-hopers in my day on the beat: Hugh Millen, Tommy Hodson, etc. But I don't think any of them played enough games to qualify for this award (maybe Millen did, but he honestly wasn't bad enough to win it -- except for the time he scrambled for a first down on the potential game-winning TD drive after forgetting said scramble was the last play of the game).
    Anyway, I think some posters are confusing "just good enough to get you beat" quarterbacks like Plummer with the truly wretched Leafs and Piscarik's of the world.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Hugh Millen.

Unlike Ryan Leaf, a rookie, he was in his fifth season when he took over as the starter for the Patriots in 1991. He proceeded to start 25 games, going 7-18. During that time, he had a completion percentage of 60.3 (which isn't terrible), but threw 22 touchdowns and 35 interceptions. Passer rating for those two years were 72.5 and 70.3. He was sacked 87 times in 25 games. For this career (40 games) he was sacked 12 percent of the time he dropped back to pass.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Great timing.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Millen was a Patriot, they were the league's worst team and pretty much bankrupt to boot. So stats should be evaluated in context. Sammy Baugh wouldn't have looked real good with that bunch.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And Baugh was in his 70s back then, right?

Eh, he might have been sacked less when you think about it.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I wasn't too old during the 91-92 seasons (maybe 12 or 13) but I remember thinking how awful No. 7 was. Then again, looking back, he started over Scott Zolak. Four QBs started games for the Pats that year, what a disaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted