1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The worst news I've received this week.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Brooklyn hipsters must be upset.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It could get worse. Industry Groups are claiming that the administrations aluminum tariffs are hitting them, driving up their costs fairly significantly. They are going to have to lay off people probably, raise prices, or put any new products they had planned on hold and put aside any expansion plans they may have had.

Interestingly, though, beer as a category has been in a bit of a doldrums, from what I understand, especially compared to wine. So this is only one headwind.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The beer industry in America was basically following the old Schaefer pattern, "the one beer to have when you're having more than one." Lighter tasting lagers that went down fast. Now beer drinkers have switched to the craft beer styles of more powerful flavors where people drink less of them at a time. Those wishing to chug have moved to the light beers. I was at a neighborhood steak house last week and saw one of the waitresses carrying a bottle of Bud to a table. It was like seeing her deliver a pack of Chesterfields.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I love me some Bud Heavy, honestly.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Even worse, there's plenty of Bud Light Orange to go around.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I love shitty normal fucking beer. (Not fucking Bud Light Orange.) Coors Banquet, MGD or High Life, PBR. Hell, I grabbed a cold six pack of Old Milwaukee the other day and it was fucking delicious. I do not need a cinnamon stick, notes of chocolate, and a fucking goldfish swimming in my beer to prove I like beer. You know why? Because I like beer, the way I like black coffee from a gas station. Regular fucking beer. Beer. Just give me a fucking beer, cold in a sweating can, and nobody gets fucking hurt.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Same here.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I wish there was a love button. Well said.
    I got fairly pickled on some Natty last night, and it was phenomenal.
    What's my favorite beer? Cold and within reach.
    Except Coors Light. I can't drink it. Doesn't matter if I have 2 or 22, I will get a earth-shattering headache.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not quite you. I find most of those beers taste like funky water at best, piss at worst. But I hate foofy beers that are loaded up with too much hops. That is supposed to taste good?

I don't drink a ton of beer. But I love Guinness, if it counts. The cans with the little nitrogen canisters do me fine. I like Bass Ale. I even mix my Guinness with my Bass. And rather than drink that High Life crap you are OK with, we always have a case of Yuengling on hand. If I make a killer pizza, for example, a couple of Yuenglings get opened to wash it down.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I do still enjoy a well made craft beer, though I think the proliferation of fruit-forward IPAs has gone way too far. ... On the other hand, you're not drinking a double IPA at the pool or the beach. Give me Modelo. Give me Miller Lite. Give me whatever goes down clean and easy on a hot day. That 8 percent IPA won't fit the bill.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I don't think I go the same kind of liquor stores and breweries you do.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted