1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Worst Case Scenario

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Zeke12, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Attention subscribers: Paper not delivered.

http://m.rapidcityjournal.com/news/attention-subscribers-newspapers-not-delivered-this-morning-read-the-e/article_926c5ddc-f1c7-11de-88a2-001cc4c002e0.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I really want to know what went down in Rapid City, so maybe someone here can shed some light?

Anyone else had this happen before? I've had to do some crazy stuff to get the paper out, but I've never seen a paper just not get printed.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No backup plan to print at another paper that is relatively close?

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That's what I wondered.

Of course, the "closest" press is probably in Pierre, three hours away.

No clue what the closest Lee press is. Casper, WY?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think prior to my arrival, my last shop couldn't get any newspapers delivered because of a snow emergency. But the newspapers I've worked for have all had good backup printing sites, so I don't recall hearing about an inability to print.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Ouch.

Heard through the grapevine they were publishing the text of South Dakota ballot initiatives AND notice of voter registration deadline today.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If that's the case, they sure weren't going to advertise it to readers. I just looked at the first four pages on the free e-edition, and there's no mention of either of those things.

7. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

B10.

Not something you advertise, but pretty sure legal obligation, yeah?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you're putting something on B10, it doesn't matter. And the legal obligation surely wouldn't be an issue in this case.

The bigger issue will be appeasing the advertisers.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And if the closest backup press is three hours away, perhaps that makes a good plan even more important.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That missing Meade County woman they found is a man.

11. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

That surely figured into having a hard time finding them.

Draft saved Draft deleted