1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world's most unqualified futbol coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

They may be too young to get far with this, but the act of kicking the ball in the direction of a teammate is only half of making a pass. The passer must move to create a new option for the receiver to direct his pass too, as well as move defenders to give the receiver room to move.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I've already pestered Pastor about this, but after three years as an assistant -- where I could lean on and gravy-train off someone else -- I'm running my son's U-14 team this year.

Yes, it's a few steps removed from Dixie's predicament, but I could use some help as well. Mostly with drills emphasizing passing and tactics.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the advice. I knew this would be a good source. To address some of the points made:

• Any suggestions about bribing, abusing or dismembering refs are out. At this level, coaches double as officials. I think we are out there only to prevent donkey punches and taking a dump in the goal.
    • We have five players on the roster, with only an outside shot at getting a sixth. Games are 3-v-3 over four 8-minute quarters, with everyone guaranteed 50% playing time minimum and no score kept.
    • Mercifully, we seem to have a sane group of parents, many of which are ready to help. I have an assistant coach, plus my wife who is heading up the administrative end and also pitching in on some drills. Most of the hardcore folks seem to gravitate to the YMCA league.
    • I checked out a book and a video on coaching kiddie soccer from the library. The book was good, if a bit wordy, and gave me enough to crib together my first practice until our training session. The video was cheesy 80s goodness, complete with short shorts, man perms, and that same backing music that every direct to video sports production used through the end of Regan's first term. But at least it was honest. If there were eight kids on Team Example and coach told them to dribble with their right foot, six of them would use the left.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For that age group, don't be afraid of letting them fire from outside the box. Teach your GK to distribute the ball quickly to start the counter-attack.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That latter element won't be a problem. My son's the keeper and he's taught to play aggressive, challenge shooters and get rid of the ball quickly. He took GK lessons and was instilled with the concept that for every goal you give up by coming out too much/far, you'll stop three. It's pretty much worked out that way.

Without seeing my full team yet, I know one element of the former won't be a problem. One of his former tournament-team mates has a cannon for a foot. His dad's my assistant.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Leave John Astin out of this! :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted