1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world's most unqualified futbol coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That would be me.

Through little fault of my own, I have been handed the reigns to little Dixiehack's U6 side. Hell, the next organized soccer game I play in will be my first. Any suggestions from the hardcore crowd? We're already good with the "have fun and let them play." aspect.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Keep changing your formation to get everyone good and pissed off.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I coached a U5 girls team in the fall and I know next to nothing about soccer. The biggest help for me and my buddies was getting one of the local high school soccer coaches to come to a couple of the early practices and give us ideas on drills and whatnot.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought this thread would be about Jose Mourinho.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A U-6 TEAM (God, I hate the word "side")?

Run a 3-3-4, with four forwards, make your four best athletes the defenders and goalie, your four most enthusiastic the forwards. The ones who can run, run, run, put them in midfield. Or, if you have a super kid who scores in bunches, run a 3-4-3, put that kid up top in the center.

Drills?

Hell, they're six. Have them take a short lap to begin practice, scrimmage to see what you have. Then do that drill where two lines face each other and the people in the front pass to each other and rotate to the back of the line. Better to scrimmage and drill them on positioning and basic understanding of the game.

And don't let them use their hands to move the ball.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Teach them the art of flopping. It's fun and it gets calls!

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Are we sure the U6 team plays with 10 players? My U5 team played 3-on-3, which made scrimmaging extremely tough. Especially when half the team would decide it was time to lay down on the field and pick flowers.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Didn't think of that.

dixiehack, you're on your own.

9. Awesome

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You're a brave soul, dixiehack. I spent a couple seasons coaching young'uns, and this is what helped me:

1) Make sure there's enough balls available for all the kids to get plenty of touches -- one for every kid, if possible. Have them dribble and kick a lot so they get used to using their feet. Once they get that down, raise the degree of difficulty and have them dribble with their head up. Have them receive passes rather than stopping them (if you need a visual, think of the egg drill from the original Mighty Ducks movie). That will help them develop a good first touch, which will in turn lead to more passing and less chasing.

2) Introduce them to the concepts of the game. Not using hands, attacking vs. defending (not to mention the difference between your goal and your opponent's), how to execute a correct throw-in and the idea of positions (so everyone doesn't run all over the field) is a good place to start. If there's a league age group supervisor, see if there are any concepts they want coaches to teach. Make sure the kids know they're supposed to kick with their instep and not their toes. That alone should save a fair amount of tears.

Your local Borders or B&N should have coaching books available if you need help yourself. Once you get comfortable with the game and its concepts, pick up a copy of Andy Gray's "Flat Back Four" ... it's one of my favorites.

3) Use practice games to keep kids interested and help drive home the game concepts. If you feel the need to scrimmage, keep the games small-sided (3v3, 4v4, 5v5) and emphasize passing and moving. Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.soccerhelp.com/U-4_Coaching_Ages_2_3_4_5.shtml
    http://www.coachingsoccer101.com/soccercoaching.htm
    http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/

4) Establish a good line of communication with the other parents. Don't feel you need to run every decision past them (you're mad if you do, in fact), but your life will be infinitely easier if they know what general direction you're trying to take things. Make sure phone numbers get passed around so parents will know of any schedule changes, cancellations or if anyone needs a lift to practice.

Above all, be positive and have fun with it. Fake it if you have to. If you're having fun, the kids will have fun. If it's fun, they'll come back for the next practice, the next game and the next season. If it's not, you're wasting your time and theirs.

Best of luck to you. If you need more, don't hesitate to ask.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As someone who has blown a whistle "on the pitch" for a few seasons, here is what I can share. In my association, to start the season the vet refs would help out the first year (some as young as 13 years old) referees in the lower games.

Give the children "jobs" on the field. Designate one or two players to do throw ins, coin toss, direct kicks, goal kicks, etc... Change this job for every game so as not to show favoritism. Nothing is worse than calling a throw and having 7-8 children ask you who should do it.

Do not be an idiot lining the kids up for 10 minutes before the start of each half about their proper spot in the field. If the kids do not know where they are supposed to be when the ball is waiting to be kicked, there is no way they will hold this position once the ball is put in play. Many times they will just run around like a bunch of gnats.

Do not yell at the refs. Most "hand balls" (or handling if you know what you are talking about) are not called at this age level.

When they kick, if you can see the bottom of their cleats (no toe cleat!!!) it is an unsafe kick. Be sure they are not doing karate kicks when they are playing.

Lastly, thanks for doing it. Most kids do not have a chance to play if no one is willing to coach or blow the whistle.

That said, I know 14-year-olds making $20 an hour reffing soccer. It's one of the best part time jobs for any young teen.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

As a patched ref, you have my condolences. ;)

Seriously though, thanks. Every youth sport needs refs and coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted