1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world needed another "Why I Quit My Job" piece by a millennial, so without further ado ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Guilty.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's your problem with it. Not it's problem.

Worked for Cheryl Strayed.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ah, now it's clear -- this thread was intended to be your Touchdown Dance Of The Day.

Self-indulgence is your thing, I guess.

SnarkShark, Riptide and JackReacher like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Nah. Not at all.

The point is that when you start accepting invented quotes because they are truthy enough, it can lead you on a dangerous path. It's not OK that the quotes by the lawyer are "close enough." They were carefully designed to push particular buttons, reinforce particular stereotypes, and validate her life decisions for the reader. (And, presumably, validate the same decision for themselves.)

But they are almost certainly not accurate. And, that being the case, her decision isn't as cut-and-dried as she made it out to be: Not only was my work boring and soul-crushing as compared to my African Dance self-designed major, my boss was a stereotypical rich asshole! Fancy that!

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Chasing YF in the MVP race .

JackReacher likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

You seem inordinately bothered by the whole thing, and as you go on and on your problem seems to be with the whole idea of her writing (and being taken seriously) than any nobility about whether the quotes are accurate.

So, again: She isn't a millennial. There are people who like her writing. You aren't one of them. All of that is OK and all of those things can happen together without incident.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Is it OK to identify the writer as a millennial in the headline to further your agenda?

Also, I don't agree that the quotes were "carefully designed to push particular buttons." I think it's far more likely that it's just how she remembers that conversation. I had variations of that exact conversation with my father when I was a senior in high school and freshman in college as I decided my major. Now, when I say that he told me, "You should go into computers. Who cares if you like it? That's where all the money is going to be and, take it from someone who decided to do what he loves, it's better to have money," that might not be word for word exactly how he said it. But it is close enough.

And are you sure you're not bothered by the stereotyping of the lawyer?

9. LongTimeListener

From Walter Isaacson's celebrated book on Steve Jobs, which published in 2011.

"Even if we lose our money, we’ll have a company,” Jobs told Steve Wozniak early on, in the mid 1970s. “For once in our lives, we’ll have a company.”

Is that what Jobs said? Does that sound like something a 20-year-old would say in 1975? What's the verification process?

“We are inventing the future,” [Jobs told a job applicant]. “Think about surfing on the front edge of a wave. It’s really exhilarating. Now think about dog-paddling at the tail end of that wave. It wouldn’t be anywhere near as much fun. Come down here and make a dent in the universe.”

Did Jobs say that? Does that sound like something an employer would say in a job interview? Who was the employee?

Or is Walter Isaacson the world's oldest millennial and the book a fraud?

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick's back to work, giving him plenty of time to post on Sj.com. [/@Riptide]

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Not only that, he got his period today!

12. Dick Whitman

I don't know.

Yes.

I don't know.

Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted