1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world needed another "Why I Quit My Job" piece by a millennial, so without further ado ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It was a legit question. I'm failing to see why this has raised your hackles so much.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I told you. Because it's hacky.

Do you realize what an overdone genre this is at this point?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK. So?

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You could make a pretty good living being an "I quit my job" ghostwriter.

Double Down likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick, she's an author, right? This is her first book -- but it is blessed by Oprah and the "Eat Pray Love" woman as the next big thing. She also appears to have extensive magazine credits including for travel writing, which is nothing if not self-indulgent.

She fits into a whole genre that consists of self-reflection and basking in one's own importance. It would stand to reason that a piece in the New York Times would follow suit.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Correct. As I understand it, in her spare time, she luxuriates in paperweights shaped as constellations.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I just saw that piece yesterday (though I think it's old). There's definitely truth.

But as to the second part of what I said, which you didn't quote -- why is she writing it? Because a lot of women eat it up. We would have saved a lot of trees by banning men from writing about their ballpark tours too.

Double Down likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lawyers are assholes. It's a known fact. If the unnamed asshole lawyer didn't say exactly what is written here, I'm sure it's close enough.

Who knows, maybe this Generation Xer didn't say exactly what she has written that she said.

She's probably more to the truth than you are, calling her a millennial.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Forget it, Franzen's rolling.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

Again: The problem isn't that she didn't quote him with precise accuracy, although we seem to be more forgiving of that when what is actually used validates our biases.

The problem is that what she did write is not how people actually talk. It's a caricature. It's hackery. It would be laughed out of a Hollywood slush pile.

It's not "close enough" at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted