1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The world needed another "Why I Quit My Job" piece by a millennial, so without further ado ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The writer is not a millennial.

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Millennial? If this was a post-college job in 2000, she is 40 years old right now.

EDIT: pern, I like the way you think.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Perhaps she had a hidden camera she was using that the rest of us aren't aware of.

4. Dick Whitman

She's an honorary one.

5. bigpern23

I'm not really sure what your issue is with the writer's account of quitting her job in the law office. If you were to write a story today about how you ended up in your current career and you had to pinpoint the moment you knew what you wanted to do, do you think you'd have the exact quote ready in your mind? Or do you think that perhaps you'd take the literary license to write it how you remember - which, 15 years later, is probably colored a bit by life experience?

If the lawyer didn't say those exact words in that exact order, so what? It's likely he said something to that effect and the words had an impact on the writer's desire to find a job she loved. Who cares if she got the quote exactly right?

6. bigpern23

You're demanding exact accuracy in her writing of a quote she heard 15 years ago. I think you should hold yourself to the same standard of accuracy.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I'm not demanding "exact accuracy." I'm demanding that she not make up shit to fit her agenda. And besides, it's hack writing, which is more irksome than the accuracy part.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Will you be filing a lawsuit?

9. Dick Whitman

I think that if I were to write such a story, the person would not speak like the villain in a Mitch Albom novella.

10. bigpern23

Dude, lighten up. She's writing a piece about how she came to be in her career. She's not reporting on Watergate. Are you just taking this personally because you feel like it makes lawyers look bad?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

“Sometimes, we have to do things we don’t want to do. That’s just life. That’s how you make money,” he said. “You think you’re going to go out there and find some job you enjoy? You think you’re going to find a job that’s going to make you happy? Grow up!”

I don't think that's what the lawyer said. I think she read that here on SJ.com.

12. Dick Whitman

I could give a fuck about that. Lawyers do enough to make themselves look bad.

It's not about me, either. Or you. Stick to the argument. Leave the psychoanalysis to gift store clerks.

I'm offended because it's hackery, pure and simple. She has a villain. She made the villain say precisely what the villain needed to say, piling one cliché on top of another.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted