1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The work continues, the dream lives on, but a dynasty's dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Feb 11, 2010.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

There's a House seat up for grabs in Rhode Island:

http://www.politico.com/

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hounds, meet thread. Thread, meet hounds.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Scott Brown affect or something else?

Patrick seems so fragile. I hope he's able to stay healthy and is happy whatever he chooses to do.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems kind of odd that he's bailing now. I almost wonder if he only joined "the family business" to please his dad. I'm surprised how many people on both sides are bailing out of Congress this year, and I really think its a good thing.
    But I don't think we've seen the last Kennedy in DC.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

His poll numbers had turned to sh*t and, you know, just maybe he really did think it was time to try something different.

By all accounts, though, a truly awful person.

7. terrier

A local TV station's poll last week showed Patrick with some high negatives, he finally had a decent GOP opponent, and he's been catching a beating from talk radio over his feud with the bishop of Providence. One host has been speculating about Patrick leaving since last week - he will be full of told-you-sos tomorrow.
    The Dem primary field will be crowded, and the Republican will no longer be alone, I'm sure. There's even speculation about Buddy Cianci jumping in.
    I haven't voted for Patrick the past two elections - he was making robocalls for my town's mayor when he ran for secretary of state (and helped that POS get elected). His speaking voice has sounded increasingly shrill - I'm glad he's recognized he needs to get off the political whirligig.

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Nice to see you botch affect-effect on two threads. :)

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thought his felony conviction barred him from running...

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've seen some suggestions around the web that Patrick's decision not to run for re-election is because he wants to run for his father's old seat in Massachusetts against Scott Brown in two years.

I just don't see this happening. The voters rejected Martha Coakley in part because they didn't think she deserved or had earned the seat. I don't think Patrick would get a better reception from voters if he moved home expecting to waltz into his father's seat.

(Now, surely I think a Dem will have a better chance in Massachusetts in 2012 with a Presidential race at the top of the ticket, I just still don't see that Dem being Patrick Kennedy.)

But more than that, I think it's like DanOregon said. I think he was only there because his father was there. I think he's probably relieved to not have to serve in such a role any longer. Clearly, being in D.C. wasn't healthy for him.

I hope he finds something that fulfills him and he lives a healthy life. But I don't think he'll be the junior Senator from Massachusetts any time soon.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Patrick apparently found that being a Kennedy in politics just doesn't get you laid like it did in the old days.

12. terrier

He's not allowed to run for mayor of Providence until 2014, but the terms of his probation apparently have a loophole which would allow him to run for federal office.
    Buddy spends most of his four hours on radio each day trashing David Ciccilline, his successor. Word is Dave has Potomac fever, is jumping in, and would have to be considered the primary favorite at this point.
    Kind of sweet that the bishop has been jawjacking at Patrick over abortion, and now Patrick might be succeeded by a guy afflicted with Teh Gay. Some of the other Democrats considering a run leave me leaning Republican in November. There's a couple of obscure state reps weighing a run that I'd strongly support, but the good ol' boys who run the state party will ensure they don't get a sniff.

Draft saved Draft deleted