1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The words are there, but it's very awkward: Jemele Hill guests for Jim Rome

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

On ESPN right now.

She's giving it the old college try, but it always sounds weird when scripts written for Rome and his whole schtick are read by someone else.

Tough gig.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Rack 'er.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I think the scripts are a little forced, but they work. The interviews are solid.

I'd give it a B-plus effort.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That show is so painfully scripted. It seems like Rome drags on a topic just so he can force a few more puns or catch phrases. I love the beginning, it's so rigid: "Wel-come what is up?"

I'm not sure how anyone could take a show with the Sklar brothers and the dude from Blind Date as analysts seriously.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Jim Rome read this thread earlier. It came out like this.

The words

are there

but its very awkward

Jemele Hill

Guests for Jim Rome.

6. KoM

KoM Member

I totally agree, whether it's Hill or anyone. Jim Gray filling in one day was especially painful to watch. (Pete Rose was somewhere laughing).

Rome's schtick is horrid, but it's his deal, so if you watch the show, that's just part of it. When someone else fills in, they need to find their own deal. It always seems forced.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

8. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Was there a segment on baby daddies?

10. BigScoop96

BigScoop96 New Member

One of the problems with the radio and television show is the guests try to act like Rome and it never works. People need to be themselves no matter what show they are doing. I feel sorry for the people who do that show -- becasue many of them are friends. But it just never works out.
    Be yourself.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm still waiting to see something either on TV or in print that justifies Jemele Hill's employment at ESPN.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I never saw anything that justified her employment at the Detroit Free Press or the Orlando Sentinel, so I'm guessing it will be a long wait...

Draft saved Draft deleted