1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The words and a picture of ignorance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, May 17, 2009.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sports of The Times
    The Case for a Second Chance for Michael Vick

By WILLIAM C. RHODEN
    Published: May 16, 2009
    Later this week, Michael Vick, once the N.F.L.’s most exciting player, will leave a federal penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., to serve the final two months of his sentence in home confinement in Hampton, Va....

Vick’s world went to pieces in December 2007 when he was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison after he admitted bankrolling a dogfighting ring....

For all of Goodell’s talk about remorse, Vick deserves a second chance, and the commissioner knows it. The only question that remains is whether the N.F.L. will do the right thing and welcome Vick back into the fold.

Most exciting? put down the brown bag with the Thunderbird bottle Billy and sober up. No One missed Vick, on any level, and he's not as exciting as waiting in traffic to see the fender bender causing a 5 mile back up.

Bankrolling a dogfighting ring? could you minimize his involvement any more you mush mouthed fool.

Deserves a second chance? as in another opportunity is owed to Michael Vick?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/sports/football/17rhoden.html

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to read between the lines here, but I'm guessing you're leaning toward disagreeing with Mr. Rhoden?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe he agrees, but he needs to put down the Manischewitz bottle and sober up.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I'm curious how he knows that Goodell knows that Vick deserves a second chance.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Abbott saved me the trouble.

Another remarkable cabana-boy column.

Spare me.

Hell, it's all right with me if he plays.

But any franchise who throws anything more than dog-track money at him is stone nuts.

He can take a team so far -- and no further.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You two are the most observant pair on here... I bow to your collective wisdom

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

As dumb as you think this column is -- this statement is even dumber. And by a lot. It is also not honest and the kind of silly hyperbole which shows you are either (a) a racist, and thus an idiot (b) a dog lover, and thus way to emotionally wrapped in this to be remotely credible or (c) you hate the Falcons because you are a fan boy of some other team in that division, and thus you have no credibility.

Either way, I don't know if the guy was the most exciting player in the league, but he was extremely exciting to watch, particularly those games when he took over with his legs - or like the Steelers game when they tied - he was clearly the most exciting player on the field those days.

You don't have to like the guy or root for the guy or even think he was a good quarterback -- but when you make ridiculous comments like this, well, you make yourself sound like a clueless idiot who has never watched a football game.

I'm not even sure what you are upset about here, well other than you needed another reason to slobber and slam keys about how evil Michael Vick was.

Deserves a second chance? Yes, he does given the bar which has been set -- Pac Man Jones, half the Bengals roster, Leonard Little -- by the NFL in terms of the people who that league has granted second chances.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

The planets must be aligning or something because I can't say I disagree with anything that Zag just pointed out.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He slaughtered dogs with his bare hands.

The thug cannot be legally prevented from playing, but every animal-rights organization should hold the gun right at the head of the "family-friendly" NFL with threats of screaming, raging, fire-throwing protests if he sets foot on the field. And cc all the advertisers.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Michael Vick

2007 DNP
    2008 DNP

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not going to give Rhoden the excuse of ignorance.

He knows exactly what he wrote.

And why he wrote it.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan > Killa Vick

Draft saved Draft deleted