1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Women Screw It Up Again (NCAA)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I know ... they should just go back to the way it was years ago: if you're a top 4 seed, you get to host 1st and 2nd round games so you avoid situations like this.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I would agree with that, though there was something that made watching Muffet McGraw and company go down on their home court today a little extra special........

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'll take it one step farther -- Joanne P. McCallie left Michigan State two years ago to coach at Duke. Think the kind folks in the Izzone won't have a few nasty things to say to her on Tuesday night when Sparty takes on the Dukies in Round 2?

I hate, hate, hate the women's selection committee rule that says if Team A is a first-round host, and Team A makes the field, that team HAS to play at home. Even if they're a 16 seed. I understand why the NCAA does it -- a flat-out cash grab because the interest likely isn't there for most neutral sites -- but that doesn't mean I agree with it.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jacks win by 35 after leading by 40+ most of the second half.

Seven seed, my ass.

Bring on Baylor.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Mississippi State women handed tradition-rich Texas program a loss at Berkeley Regional last nite.
    Huge win for tradition-starved MSU ladies.

6. zagoshe

I think Utah, San Diego State and Gonzaga all made similar statements

7. zagoshe

That and they also benefitted from the fact that Gail Goestenokoroallrosiyanaiutnainddous brought her NCAA Tournament choking ways along with her from Duke......

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Gail can coach, but I'd have to research closer to see if she indeed loses most of her big games.

9. zagoshe

The fact that she never won a national title at Duke and the number of times the Blue Devils lost in heartbreaking -- or flatout choking, like when they lost to Rutgers -- fashion is amazing given how good they were in the regular season every year she was there.

She should have won at least one or even two considering the talent she had some years and she should have been to at least two more Final Fours.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm in late on this, but wouldn't it make the most sense to put Tennessee and UConn in separate regions to try to make a great matchup in the Final Four and help ESPN out?

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

markvid: Tennessee will be fortunate to get out of the first weekend and lucky to get to the Elite 8. It would take an act of seven gods to get to the title game. So a Tenn-Conn final would be too unlikely to set up

12. markvid

markvid Guest

True, but isn't it more of a marquee and a better story if it happens later?

Draft saved Draft deleted