1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The woman who disappeared inside her own home

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sad but beautifully told story by St. Pete Times feature writer Michael Kruse.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/a-brevard-woman-disappeared-but-never-left-home/1181888

2. AndrewPaPreps

AndrewPaPreps Member

Kruse is a fantastic writer. Chatted with him once about a story during the NCAA Tournament. He ended up not using anything from me, but I've followed his work ever since.

3. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I love the feature stories that come from St. Pete. "The girl in the window" by Lane DeGregory is probably my all-time favorite.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wow. Heartbreaking story.

Few things in life are sadder than sustained loneliness.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That story was excellent and very sad.

So was this one.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Her brief obituary said she would be missed.

Sounds like it.
    Dang, that's just terrible.
    Gives dying alone a new meaning.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That one went into the upper deck...yes, St. Pete turns out some stellar stuff.

Almost had to stop halfway through it was so depressing...the writing kept me in it though.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wow, what a well-written, and very sad story.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Beautifully done. Restrained.

But it's not a surprising story, is it?

So many things to take from it.. like.. the Internet is no substitute for face-to-face... and... keep watch on your mental health maybe even more than your physical health... and ... force yourself to be social even if you don't feel like it. Gosh, so much to think about.

I just love how it occurred to him to even do that story.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Kruse is one of the best feature writers in the country. The story about the woman is a brilliant example of how to tell a human story using only court records.

He thinks of interesting stories all the time that other people would just brush past.

Like the guy who faked his own death on a Springsteen message board.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/obituary-for-a-friend-tears-apart-community-of-springsteen-fans/1076154

There was a rhesus monkey on the loose in the Tampa area last year, and there were tons of people cheering the monkey on, saying how happy he must be to run free and wild. The monkey became a symbol.

Kruse talked to a bunch of scientists who said, essentially, that's actually unlikely. He's much more likely to be stressed out and searching, forever searching, for one of his own kind. And then he wrote this excellent piece.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/article1094926.ece

Kruse is also the guy who thought to examine LeBron through the eyes of Brian Windhorst, who had covered James since he was a teenager in Akron.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1135241.ece

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was going to sit home today, catch up on my DVR, do some work around 1 and piss my day away.

I'm going to the Humane Society to volunteer.

Christ, that story has me depressed. Tremendously done, though.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Very good stuff. Notice how Kruse so rarely, rarely goes for the quote. Tell the story. Learn that lesson. At any level.

Draft saved Draft deleted