1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Woman who Broke The Wheel of Fortune

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. It was a prize puzzle, and she won a trip to the Caribbean for it, along with the $900.
    2. She damn near landed on bankrupt on that one spin. If she pushed it, then lost, someone else could have gone won before she got another go.

She coulda gone longer and got more money and prizes out of it, but it's hard to fault her for going out when she did.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Jonesy could make the yellow pages an interesting read. thanks for posting jr.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jones is a genius. That is all.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Disagree. She was more interested in nailing the puzzle with a one letter clue than maximizing her winnings on that particular round.

In the end she won around $53,000 and probably intimidated the hell out of the other two opponents.

I'd suggest it was good gamesmanship

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Color this guy unimpressed:

http://vaderfortune.ytmnd.com/

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Still my favorite ytmnd ever.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think if you know it on the first letter, you gotta spin again, and if you hit on big money, guess G or T (and for God's sakes, DON'T BUY A VOWEL).

Chances are that if you spin that early, it's coming back around.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It wasn't about the money for her. It was doing it with just one letter showing.

And believe me, when you know the puzzle, you solve.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I would agree because it seems like it's too easy to land on a bankrupt or lose a turn slot.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Absolutely, WolvEagle.

I thought I would be able to calculate where I started a spin and where it finished and determine if I could spin again with minimum risk to hit a bad wedge. But there is so much going on and you have to make decision so quickly you can't really determine that. Basically, the wheel went around about a time and a 1/3 for me. For some people, it's less than a whole turn. So it makes it tough.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my all-time favorite wheel of fortune moment was when a teen or college player had this showing - "_t takes one to know one" - and she guessed "e.t. takes one to know one."

i also love lose a turn and bankrupt when the contestant has a lot of money.

Draft saved Draft deleted