1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Woman who Broke The Wheel of Fortune

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I don't watch game shows unless Sean Connery is involved.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The other possibility is she serviced a technician backstage and he gave the answer.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

And fake boobs. And schlubby middle age white journalists who are irresistible to the ladies despite having no discernible personality traits beyond stubbornness.

Well struck, Buck.

Loved Jones' story, but I've always thought WofF was one of the easiest game shows to pull off something like this. If you read Fastis' Word Freak, there are a TON of people whose minds work in patterns like this. It's cool how she did it, but I can't say I'm all that surprised. I never thought the WofF contestants were intellectual giants, and I assumed that was on purpose. Eventually someone pretty smart was going to get on the air, although from Jones' piece it seems there is a fairly high standard. But half those scrabble obsessives in Word Freak could do really well on that show, I feel like.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Believe me, as we've discussed before, no way she knew the answer beforehand.

There was another instance where some solved "kelsey gramer as dr. Frazier crane" with just the R.

I tried to solve the puzzle before she did (paused the playback) but didn't get it.

When I was on the show, I knew a puzzle well before the chic that solved it. It's all a matter of having a phrase in your head before hand and seeing the letters to confirm it.

I'm sure this lady just thought to herself when the puzzle appeared and saw the apostrophe and thought, I bet its this. And guessed a quick letter (L here) and solved. She should have guesses T for more money but I doubt she was thinking that far ahead.

Honestlt, not that hard when the stars align.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'll choose to believe her, who was the one who actually did it, rather than you, who did not.

And by did not I mean that she is the one who told what her thought and action process was. You were not involved in her thought process, so I believe her over you.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That was just a theory. I didn't read how she said she did it.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And now that I have, she basically solves puzzles the same way I do. Which I didn't do a good job of explaining above.

But I have been in the show. And I've won money on the show. So I'm sorta a big deal when it comes to the WoF :)

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Chick's hot.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that it would be funny if they did a "Candid Camera" version of the show in which there's a beautiful woman and two guys. Each time the woman spins the wheel it just goes clunk and stops on $2000. When the guys spin the wheel, it quickly stops on a low-dollar spot.

It would be interessting to see just how long the guys might put up with it.

They'll never do it, though.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Up next:
    The Girl who Burned the Pop Tarts

11. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

The big problem with what this woman did is that she short-changed herself; if she was so sure about the puzzle, she should have kept spinning and guessing. By solving the puzzle with only one letter filled in, she earned only $900 — not nothing, but not all that much for the game. And the point of the game is to win as much money as possible, not to guess the puzzle in as few letters as possible.

Impressive puzzle-solving, but exceedingly poor gamesmanship.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Girl who Didn't Win Much Cash

Draft saved Draft deleted