1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The wolf at Freedom's door?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Just got word from one of the meetings today - mandatory weeklong furlough.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

While I can't say I loved it, it was, in retrospect, a more decent chain to work for than most, and I worked with the best people I ever have or ever expect to work with again. So many good reporters, decent bosses, and genuinely good friends. I look back on my time as a reporter in Freedom fondly.

My thoughts are with everyone at the Freedom shops today. I hope things don't fall too hard.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Furloughs here in Texas as well. Hourly employees can take them one day at a time, salary has to do it all at once.

People that have worked for Freedom less than 6 months don't have to take them.

Also, there are apparently layoffs going on somewhere in the chain, but I don't know where.

Edit: Based on the post on the OC thread, apparently Orange County is getting hit with layoffs. Also, I know the chain announced recently it is outsourcing its business office's to India.

4. spud

spud Member

Thing about these furloughs is, who knows what the next quarter brings? Or after that? Wouldn't be surprised to see company-wide furloughs totalling up to 15-20 days for each employee this year. What's that... anywhere from $1500-2000 in lost wages for each individual this year? At least?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sorry to hear that, gola.

6. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Since a mandatory weeklong furlough is what CNHI did as well, amid rumors of a balloon payment due, I now ask, what EXACTLY is it that put newspapers in the position they're in?
    - material isn't relevant
    - circulation is dwindling
    - greedy bastards overextended themselves, mortgaging the respective companies through buying more papers they shouldn't have while awarding CEOs (re: Gannett's) an insane amount of money/bonuses for fail?
    - a combination of other greedy bastards in other industries doing the same thing has resulted in a drastic loss of revenue.

I'm now of the opinion that the product itself isn't what's failed and we should categorically reject powers that be who say we need to create a consumer mind-set that says how did we ever do without this publication?

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Bringing this thread back from the deep freeze, I'm hearing that at least one Freedom property got hit today with pay cuts.

UPDATE: I'm hearing five percent pay cut across the board, companywide.

8. sbordow

sbordow New Member

Just got the announcement this morning: 5 percent pay cut at all properties. Told it's likely permanent. And the beat goes on.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

L.A. Observed has the memo:

http://www.laobserved.com/assets/Registerletter62909.pdf

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I can confirm. My paper has the 5% paycut, starting next pay period I believe.

11. So after a week's furlough and added 5% paycut, plus probably another furlough in the fourth quarter, that comes out to around a 15% drop in personal income in a year?

No wonder the CEO ditched the sunken ship for the still sinking ship of Playboy.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Gotta like the new industry thinking. Furloughs: Pay cut with a week off. Wait, why the week off? Pay cuts with no time off!

Draft saved Draft deleted