1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The WNBA draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

OK, point taken. I didn't mean it exactly how it came out, but I can see how it could be taken that way.

But, I think Parker landing in Los Angeles won't hurt the chances of the league gaining a little momentum from her. One of the analysts mentioned the similarities between the Sparks' current situation and the San Antonio Spurs when they drafted Duncan. They took advantage of serious injury issues to get a No. 1 pick they normally wouldn't have had if healthy. The Sparks were "lucky" when Lisa Leslie left for maternity leave. No way they would've had the No. 1 pick otherwise. Now you have two "superstars" together in a major media market. Not saying the league will take off, but this is probably the best-case scenario.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Who says we're actually watching it? I can't remember the last time I watched ANY draft, and that includes the NFL.

Just check online every so often to see who your team picks AND you don't have to deal with Kiper and Berman blabbering.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the popularity of the league is demonstrated by the fact that the draft is on ESPN2 (no doubt at the twisting of the arm by David Stern) at 1 p.m. in the middle of the week -- when nobody is watching or cares.

Yes, this is the best case for the league -- but if its popularity hasn't taken off by now, it ain't taking off. In fact, I'd argue it has already experienced its glory years and has begun to tail off.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I still don't think the level of play in the WNBA is all that high. I wish the ABL had stayed around and that it were the successful league. The quality of play there was much higher.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I agree, in fact, I'd argue that women's college basketball players are far more fundamentally sound than WNBA players.......

6. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

To top it off, she was with Dwight Howard before Ken Griffey Jr. w/gigantism's twin brother.

Howard's going to get paid the rest of his life.
    Shelden's out of the NBA in three years.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That was kind of cool. Turned my TV off after first round, I don't get ESPNU in my office. Went over and watched it with the women's coaches and a few players, including Krystal Vaughn, who was taken 34th by the Mystics. It's where she wanted to go, she's from Baltimore. She was rather excited.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

The team I cover just had its first player ever drafted, which came as a bit of a surprise.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

whats the wnba?

Draft saved Draft deleted