1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Wire" season one question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The first scene of the first episode explains the ethos of the entire series in a few sentences.

Go back and watch it again.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Got to.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's America.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's America, man.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

So your boy's name was what?
    Snot.
    Called the guy "Snot"?
    Snot Boogie.
    God. Snot Boogie. He like the name?
    What?
    Snot Boogie?
    [the kid does not answer]
    This kid, whose mama went to the trouble to christen him Omar Isaiah Betts... You know, he forgets his jacket, his nose starts running and some asshole, instead of giving him a Kleenex, he calls him "Snot". So he's Snot forever. Doesn't seem fair.
    Life just be that way, I guess.
    So, who shot Snot?
    I ain't goin' to no court... Mothafucka didn't have to put no cap in him though.
    Definitely not.
    He coulda just whooped his ass like we always whoop his ass.
    I agree with you.
    He killed Snot. Snot been doing the same shit since I don't know how long. You don't kill a man over some bullshit. I'm sayin', every Friday night in an alley behind the Cut Rate, we rollin' bones, you know? I mean all them boys, we roll till late.
    Alley crap game, right?
    Like every time, Snot, he'd fade a few shooters, play it out till the pot's deep. Snatch and run.
    What, every time?
    Couldn't help hisself.
    Let me understand. Every Friday night, you and your boys are shootin? crap, right? And every Friday night, your pal Snot Boogie... he'd wait till there's cash on the ground and he'd grab it and run away? You let him do that?
    We'd catch him and beat his ass but ain't nobody ever go past that.
    I've gotta ask you: if every time Snot Boogie would grab the money and run away... why'd you even let him in the game?
    What?
    Well, if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why'd you let him play?
    Got to. It's America, man.

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

This probably isn't the perfect place for this, but life just be that way, I guess:

Have any of you corner boys and stoop kids been watching Generation Kill? It's obviously not in the same stratosphere as The Wire, but it's easy to see why Simon embraced the project. He's essentially telling the same story -- "life is worth less," as he once put it -- in the desert instead of West Baltimore. And as we all suspected, it appears the outcome of this conflict in the Middle East is all coming down to the decisions of a bunch of Herc Hauks and Clarence Royces.

And I know I'm not the only hopper who watched the first episode of GK and noticed something striking about the closing scene...

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Ziggy is great in GK.

8. I'm rewatching the season 1 episode now where Kima Gregg is shot. Hands down one of the best episodes ever. I can't get over how great Major Rawls is in this episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted