1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Wire" season one question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Greek: You are fond of him, Spiros. You should have had a son.

Spiros: But then, I would have had a wife.

2. Boognish

Boognish Member

Wished we could have seen more of that duo down the road after that season. I haven't seen Season 5 yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

3. FYI, BET is showing The Wire Season 1 on Thursdays.

Next up is episode 3 or 4. Obviously it's edited, but it's a great refresher course for me, considering I haven't seen most of these episodes since the original season.

I can't believe how much I forgot about season 1. It's almost like watching an entirely new season.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

The episodes hold up very well when re-watching.

I love re-watching them with the commentary on. Lots of great stuff there.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I hear they're coming out with a complete series set by the end of the year and that makes me happy because I held off buying the single season sets for that very reason. I hate spending money on HBO sets only to get screwed with a better release later on (cough, Sopranos, cough)

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So I've got a question for you guys....

How many of you liked the first episode of Season One?

The first time I tried to get into it, that episode kind of soiled me on the show for a bit. In fact, the only reason I tried again and forced myself to watch episode two was that EVERYONE I've ever heard talk about the show says nothing but good things.

Am I the only one that thought the pilot episode was a bit of a drag? (On the first viewing of course. Now it probably looks awesome knowing what we do about how shit plays out).

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's the whole point, though. None of the episodes can be great except in the context of the overarching narrative. That's why nobody ever watched the show, because they couldn't just jump on the train.

8. OK, spoiler alert first and then ...

Just got to the episode last night in Season 2 when Ziggy Sobotka killed the guy who he had sold the cars to.

Hooooooly shit. Probably the most gripping five minutes of television I have ever watched in my entire life. I still can't believe it. It was all played out so, so, so perfectly, from learning to love the character from the beginning, to sympathizing with him as a harmless (ha!) idiot, to when he pulls that gun out in the car and walks in, until his breakdown afterward.

I am still stunned. I always wonder how people can be pushed far enough to commit murder. This scene, more than any I've ever seen in a movie or television show, showed me.

Wow. Just wow.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That was an amazing moment, Waylon. Until the last moment before he goes back in, I don't think anyone really saw that coming.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Very good moment & you have plenty more awaiting you before the end of Season 5.

11. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I got turned on to The Wire this summer and watched seasons 1-4, courtesy of the Lee County Public Library. I sometimes stayed up late watching 2-3 episodes in a row. I felt like those addicts strung out on crack. I couldn't get enough. Still waiting for Season 5, to show up. Maybe I'll join netflix.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Wire was the reason I joined netflix, bruhman. Went through those seasons in no time ...

Draft saved Draft deleted