1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Wire" season one question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 6, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

As for the original question ... they definitely did write Season three so it could have been the end of the line, had HBO not picked it up for the last two. The first one wraps up in a similar fashion: somewhat neatly (by Wire standards), unlike, say, Season Two, which feeds directly into Three.
    I think I've read an interview in which Simon said his ambitions widened after season one - from a show about cops and the street to a show about the American city - which leads me to think it may have been written to be self-contained if need be.
    He's definitely said he planned to kill off Omar fairly quick, but changed his mind. Wise move.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm a newbie to The Wire, going to maybe watch some of Season 1 tonight.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We watched it and then let my daughter watch it. She and her roomie went nuts. The Queen is up for a visit and took seasons 2 and 3 with her, which is fine except I haven't seen them yet.
    They're quitting after 5?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's ovah.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's done. Simon & Burns have moved on.

My kid (one of the three watching it) started after I was bugging him about it. Turned into a regular freak. He didn't like Season 2 either but I found it one of the more compelling ones .

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Me, too.

It's kind of an either/or. Lots of Wire freaks rank it last, lots first.

I waver between 1,2 or 4 as my favorites.

The kids were so damn good. And heartbreaking.

7. Giggity

Giggity Member

Actually, he specifically refuted the rumors that he'd planned to kill off Omar, as well as rumors that Omar's role was supposed to be smaller.

From Simon's interview with Alan Sepinwall:
    http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/03/wire-david-simon-q.html

Was Omar originally going to die in the shoot-out with Wee-Bey in season one, or is that an urban legend?

It's an urban legend. It came from some early interviews that Michael (K. Williams) did. I've never corrected him, because he wasn't saying it (out of bad intentions). I think he got a little confused in this regard: In the first season we told him he's only doing seven episodes. That's as many as we needed. We said, it was seven and we didn't know if there was work to be had next year, because we didn't know if we'd be renewed. And I think he took that to believe he was going to be killed after seven.

If the show continued, Omar was going to return. No, he was not going to die in that shoot-out. There was nothing to suggest that we didn't have some fundamental plan for him. Nor did we write more to the character because of how well Michael played him. Omar was going to have to exist for narrative purposes throughout. Did we write the lines a little differently? Did we enjoy a moment or two that Michael could give us that another actor couldn't? Absolutely. That's what you do. that's the biofeedback that goes on when the dailies come back and you see what you have. The idea that he was going to be killed off and he marched his way back in the show, I think he just misunderstood when we told him, 'You only have seven this year.'

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I miss The Wire.

:'( :'( :'(

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Season 3 in my opinion is the best

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

McCain told Entertainment Weekly that The Wire was one of his favorite shows, obviously pandering to the millions of people who don't watch it. Honestly, the guy went up a few point on my poll with that answer. His analysis of Viva Zapata is impressive.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

People who say they don't like Season 2 make me insane.

12. Boognish

Boognish Member

Watched it twice - some episodes three times. Loved Season 2, and the way it lead to the top of the supply line, which was great to know as seasons continued. Can't wait for Season 5 in five days.

Spiros 'Vondas' Vondopoulos: He knows my name, but my name is not my name. And you... to them you're only "The Greek".
    The Greek: And, of course, I'm not even Greek.

Draft saved Draft deleted