1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire, Season 5 -- Read Between the Lines

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Re: All-purpose, never-ending "Wire" thread

I'm with you on Bodie. Wallace was tougher to watch, but Bodie was tougher to lose. His scene with McNulty in that park last season was so well-done and well-acted.

Thinking back more on this season, two of the most gut-wrenching moments of the whole series had to be the scene with Bubs in the finale when he's a shell of himself in detox and the relationship between Carver and Randy in the last few episodes... with his haunting, "You gonna be there for me?" as Carver walked down that hallway in the hospital after Miss Anna got burned in the fire and the end with Carver having to let him to to the orphanage (? I don't know what to call the place Randy ended up) and then Carver in the car bashing the steering wheel.

God damn this show is unreal. Can't wait for season 4 on dvd -- anyone know when that's coming? -- and season five to start -- when does that start, winter '08?

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I've always liked Carver...I think he's grown more than any other character in the show. He started off as a clown, riding around with Herc and getting into trouble. But he's matured into good police -- sort of a young Bunny Colvin, I think -- as shown by his scenes with the young hoppers in Season 4.

He seems committed to doing his best to break the cycle with these kids...and as we saw at the end of Season Four, his best -- our best -- isn't good enough.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

David Simon has said Season 5 will premiere in early to spring 2008. He also has said the DVDs will be released shortly (read, a few months) before the new season. So the DVDs probably will be out by Christmas.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Sweet. I know what's tops on my Christmas list, then.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Apologies for what is probably a d_b, but I didn't see anything about this after a quick search.

Not that anyone gives a damn about the Emmys, but how in the world does the Wire -- apparently -- get completely shut out of a nomination? This is unbelievable.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/19/DDGCAR3D4O25.DTL

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

But Grey's Anatomy, which had one of the most mindless, dumbest seasons for a prime-time drama in years, got -- wait for it -- 10 nominations.

I'm not one of those liberals that cry racism very often, but it just seems like such an embarassment that this show has never been nominated for, or won, an Emmy while the Sopranos has about eleventy billion. Even if you think The Sopranos is the better show -- and it really isn't, but you can make the argument that it is without getting laughed at -- there is really no way to claim that the fourth season of The Wire wasn't one of best television seasons ever. The Sopranos got 15 Emmy nominations this year. The Wire got zero. Can anyone really argue that The Sopranos is 15 times better than The Wire? If the Emmys wants to reward mindless escapism while ignoring the reality of what's going on in this country, that's fine, don't nominate it for best drama. But T.R. Knight is a better supporting actor than Michael K. Williams, aka, Omar Little? Or JD Williams, who plays Bodie? Or any of the kids this season? Ridiculous.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If there is an explanation other than blatant racism, I'd love to hear.

The Emmy's are officially pointless.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The snub is baffling beyond the point of comprehension.

Unless the Emmys acknowledges itself as a popularity contest.

Is there a more serious fictional piece of television in the history of the medium? In terms of writing, acting, and researched, reporting-based verisimmilitude (sp?), nothing is even close --- to put "The Wire" and the word "nothing" in the same sentence is too close.

The Emmys just became farce.

9. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

What zeke said.

10. Mighty_Wingman

I'm not one of those white Jewish Republicans who goes around crying racism every time a gritty urban drama is given short shrift by the mainstream. It's just too cliche.

But I'll make an exception here.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

And even die-hard Sopranos fans agreed this year's half of the final season was at best uneven. Fifteen nominations screams "career achievement award," but what the hell's the point of that for a show that's been as showered by criticism as the Sopranos?

It's obviously not an anti-HBO thing: The merely passable "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" got several nominations. It's not an anti-ensemble cast thing: Desperate Housewives, waaaaaaay down from its not-that-impressive-anyway peak, got plenty of nominations.

So what is it?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

George W. Bush and the Emmy voters don't care about black people.

12. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I don't think a lot of America wants to care about the kinds of people (and especially the kinds of kids) 'The Wire' gives voice to.

These people aren't about rewarding exceptional TV. If you can ignore 'The Wire' after one season, you aren't paying attention. If you can ignore it after four? You don't want to pay attention.

I don't intend to pay attention to the Emmys. They don't deserve it.

Draft saved Draft deleted