1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 59

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

They've done one at the end of every other season, so I'm banking on it. And then the show will close with one final scene, the way the other season's have. That's what I'm expecting/hoping for anyways.

W-B I do expect some of the main characters to die, but I don't know which ones, so I'd rather not have anything spoiled. Though I too believe he just mixed up the names. Sepinwall actually said he was going to ask Simon if there was any reason for the Omar/Marlo names to be so similar.

I think we'll definitely see Michael again because they gave zero indication of what he might be up to next. But I just don't see him taking over. Sure capping Snoop was a big move but that was self-preservation, not some move to claim the crown. I just think it's hard to fathom Michael being able to gather the muscle necessary to take down Marlo if he was so inclined, unless he's able to get guys like Monk to back him.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I like how as in past seasons, we've seen the opening scene of the season (tricking the kid with the photocopier/lie detector in the Homicide redux) turn out to be an indicator of the season's theme -- police trying to achieve a legitimate end through not-so-legitimate means.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I think because its the series finally it does not really matter for HBO. If it gets good ratings or bad ratings its over anyways. Its not like HBO has to answer to advertisers.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

They did it last season too, IIRC.

5. A better question would be to ask why Randy and Cheese have the same last name and why, if they are related, they never seemed to cross paths and Cheese never helped Randy out. Of course, we saw how Cheese treats family.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I always assumed Cheese was his father. Randy's bio says he never knew his father, who was a corner boy himself.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It was a complete and total typo. I realized it last night but stricken with the flu and [Information redacted due to grossness] I didn't log in and fix it.
    A thousand and one apologies.
    I would like to know the number of people who ordered the show through onDemand. It would give a more accurate picture of viewership as opposed to the Neilsen ratings.
    I would argue that HBO clearly doesn't give a shit about the final season. I remember that this season was supposed to be 13 episodes and HBO told them to get it done in 10.
    HBO, I think, has noticed the critics love but has also noted the show's shocking lack of Emmys and other awards.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Wire not getting an Emmy.... hell, four, is even a bigger crime than Cris Carter not making the Hall with.... wait for it.... 130 TD catches.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Indeed.
    I bet they get at least some nominations this year, though. Not because it's even close to the best season, but b/c that's how the Emmys do. They wait until after a great show has peaked before they deem it worthy of their attention.

10. Dedo

Dedo Member

I just watched Episode 59 again, and I was struck by something I didn't notice the first time.

Remember how Season 4 ended, with Namond standing on the doorstep of his new home, and a friend from the old neighborhood (Donut) driving away, followed by the camera panning hopefully to an inviting crossroads?

Keep that in mind when you watch the last few seconds of 59. Dukie's on the doorstep of his new home. He turns to see a friend from the old neighborhood has driven away. And the camera shows not an optimism-tinged crossroads, but a dimly lit street that only leads to darkness.

I don't think this was a coincidence.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think you just blew my mind.

12. Dedo

Dedo Member

I guess it could be a stretch on my part, but I really like the symmetry. And this is one reason why I try to watch every episode twice. There's usually something you missed the first time.

Draft saved Draft deleted