1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 59

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I too hope he meant Omar. Also, I don't get what advantage it was for HBO to put the show On Demand early. I guess it's good for viewers because you can watch the episode a week early, but then you have to wait a week for the next one anyways, and then two weeks for the finale. And it must be tough for them to get an accurate read on the ratings. So in the end, I'm not sure what they gain by it.

2. Boobie Miles

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, I don't know. Do they do that with all their shows? Or do they just not care about The Wire's ratings at this point and are trying to build loyalty?
    Ratings have been lousy (at least acc. to the Baltimore Sun, which seems bent on bringing that up each week). But almost everyone I know who watches The Wire does it On Demand. Because, really, why wait?

4. If that's a spoiler for the final episode, I'm going to be really pissed off.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm thinking it's just a misquote. JayFarrar obviously hasn't seen the finale, hence his anger towards HBO.

I hope I'm right.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I hope you are, too. Otherwise I'm tracking JF down and comet bombing him.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I agree with all on Michael, Bugg, and Dukie scenes. When Michael and Dukie split up it shows that the life and game moves on. Michael moves on as Barksdale-Stansfield and Dukie will move on as Bubs. The kind soul with intelligence who given the chance would have become something and instead ends up hooked on heroin.

Sad scenes in a great, great episode.

8. Boobie Miles

I almost positive that they didn't do it for Entourage and Curb when I watched them, and I know they didn't do it for Sopranos. I mean if they do it, people will watch it, but really there isn't an advantage. There's still a week wait in between each ep, and you're not really ahead because of the longer wait for the finale.

As for the previous post saying Michael is the next Avon/Marlo. I thought that was the path he was headed down at the end of Season 4. But now, I don't think so. Does he have enough pull right now to round up enough muscle to take on Marlo, even with Chris locked up and Snoop gone? I get the feeling he's more like D'Angelo at this point. His heart's not really in the game, but he has no choice. I really don't know what he can do at this point. I don't see a bright future for Mr. Lee.

And whoever posted the spoiler/typo just come on and say it was a mistake. Leaving it up in the air is going to have everyone waiting for something every time Marlo is on screen. While he may very well get got, I'd rather not go in expecting it.

9. It was obviously a typo. Look at the context.

And really, at this point, don't you expect just about all of the best characters to die?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Boobie, I thought Michael may not have the heart to step up but popping at close range is a lot more hardcore than anything Deangelo did. Michael has passed the point on no return.

11. Michael might be past the point of no return, but I just don't see any way that he sticks around to stay in the game. Marlo still has plenty of soldiers that will be out for him and I don't think he made a lot of friends with his constant questioning of how Marlo did things (though admittedly that could be his in with turning some of those people if they don't like how Marlo handles business, either).

I think Michael is on his way out and I wouldn't be surprised if the end of that episode was the last we see of him, Bug and Dukie.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'd love to see them do like Six Feet Under, a big montage of how everyone ends up. Probably too straightforward for this show, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted