1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 59

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think that Lester talking with Clay Davis about the lawyers role in the money laundering will persuade Levy to back off. Lester saying "You're into it with these street punks and you'll end up in the same prison." Or something to that effect. Herc is a punk.

It appears from the previews that Gus calls Scott out on his BS stories. "But they're in my notes." My ass. At the press conference when Alma wanted to get a quote from Daniels he said something about the paper quoted him as stabbing someone in the back--that was a Templeton quote right?

Snoop went out like a soldier. "How's my hair look?" She knew what path she chose and how it had to end. Can't wait for two weeks to see the finale.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It appears from the previews that Gus calls Scott out on his BS stories. "But they're in my notes." My ass. At the press conference when Alma wanted to get a quote from Daniels he said something about the paper quoted him as stabbing someone in the back--that was a Templeton quote right?

[/quote]Yes.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yes.
    [/quote]

Refresh my memory. I know it had to with an unattributed quote about a knife in Burrell's back. Was the quote made to appear to come from Daniels or did the unattributed quote actually name Daniels as the one putting the knife in his back? Or something a little different, I'm drawing a blank.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Scott said the quote was from Narese and it was about how Daniels had been stabbing Burrell in the back. Over lunch, Narese then revealed to Gus she didn't even know who Daniels was at the time, and that Daniels was asking not to take the job when the story broke.

5. Boobie Miles

Ahh OK. But in print it appeared as a "city hall source" or something right? And Scott only revealed it to Gus, after being pressed, that it was Narese, correct?

The beauty of the show's writing is how it rewards the attentive and intelligent viewer. That also means that there are so many small details that don't really get picked up again until going back and re-watching the season. I can't lie, my head was spinning during the conversation between Davis and Lester over the pay-offs and lawyers and all that.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

My building just got DirectTV meaning I can't see this episode if I don't catch it on tv.

7. Dedo

Dedo Member

But you caught the Stringer Bell stuff in there, right? That was a nice touch. No matter how smart Stringer thought he was with his business classes and parliamentary procedure, ole Clay was out to screw him from the beginning...

8. Boobie Miles

Yeah, I loved the way that was done. To most viewers he was a beloved character and his death was among the most traumatic of the series. To Davis he was just some drug dealer he could extort money from. I LOVE how with this show often times we know more than the characters. Most shows spell every little thing out, this show is much more like real life in that the characters don't everything about every other person.

I just didn't fully understand how the shake downs work. I have a general understanding, but just wasn't 100% clear on what Davis and Levi's relationship was.

9. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

The only way I see the charges sticking to Marlo is if Lester pressures Levy with the information he got from Davis. Otherwise, I don't see how everything doesn't fall apart. And the thing with Herc: was him ratting on everyone just another example of him being himself or does he have another card to play in this hand?

What confuses me is this: the whole reason why Herc gave Lester Marlo's cell number is because he so despises him, stemming from the camera incident. Now he's giving away information that could lead to his freedom? I don't get it.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

Herc doesn't give two shits about anything that doesn't go by the name of Herc. If he can get Levy some intel, he'll go right ahead and do that by whatever means necessary if it means more money in Herc's pocket. \\

There was that scene earlier in the season when Levy flipped Herc shit for letting Carver and the other cops buy their own drinks - a round of drinks, compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars these guys pull down for one case (see: Davis, Clay)? Herc's always been basically corrupt, but this season he's learned to make money off it.

11. Exactly. Herc, in his own little Herc way, is playing the system. He gives the cops the numbers to bust the dealers and now uses some information from the cops to defend the clients so they can free them again and again and again ... not Clay Davis, but who is?

Anyway, what a fucking great episode. My belief is that the end episode will be a wash. It always is on this show. Nobody wins; everybody loses. That's why I don't think we'll see the full-fledged dismantling of the Marlo case. I haven't seen the previews, but I'm guessing the The cops will cover it up and then quietly punish McNulty and Freemon, much like Colvin.

I've also solved the latest homeless murder: Anyone else notice all the business cards lying next to the body? I bet the deceased grabbed a certain homeless man's business cards.

Now to read Sepinwall ...

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Another great script by George Pelecanos. He wrote Killing Wallace episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted