1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 59

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Namond!

and Bunny

2. Simon_Cowbell

We see a side of Marlo we haven't seen.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Perhaps the most heart-wrenching episode I've witnessed.

4. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Without a doubt. And I wonder what happens to the whole Stanfield case now that McNulty's lie is exposed. Oh, I can't wait for Templeton to be shit on proper.

5. Giggity

Giggity Member

Goddammit, they're not showing the finale early on On Demand. It's going to be a long two weeks.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought it was one of the best episodes of the series. Can't really put my finger on why just yet, but that was my initial reaction.

I thought the scenes with Mike and Duquan were masterful.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The best episode of the season so far, I'd say. There was a ton of stuff that I feel needs a mention, so I apologize in advance for the length:

I thought the scenes in the military hospital were unexpected and a little gratuitous, but really gracefully handled and VERY well acted.

Needless to say, it got a little dusty at the ol' Winger's house when Bubs made his speech at the meeting. I hope bright-eyed, bushy-tailed young reporter gets the full Sherrod story out of Bubs...attention must be paid, right?

Namond's reappearance was great...It's kind of a relief to see him adapted to his new circumstances...he seems like a totally new person, which is exactly what he needed. Namond's redemption doesn't make up for the sting of Randy's and Duquan's fates, but what can I say? I'm a sap. I needed one of those kids to come out with at least a chance.

I still think McNulty can't go down for his fraud, even though it is pretty egregious. But I'm not really seeing how he can avoid a spectacular crash and burn, either, especially now that Perlman's in on it. And judging from the previews of the finale, Carcetti is soon to be brought in too.

It would be very Wire-like for the unraveling of McNulty's lie to lead to the shutting down of Lester's very promising money-laundering investigation, which seems to have taken a big step with Clay's latest tip.

I still can't believe the two back-stabs: 1) Herc taking Carver's information to Levy and 2) Kima exposing McNulty and Lester to Daniels. Herc has always been one of the least likable characters on the show, obviously, but to pump Carver for information and then give it all to Levy is unbelievable, even for him.

And while I can absolutely see Greggs wanting McNulty to be exposed, how could she do that to Lester, the most "good police" guy on the show? (Sorry, Bunk fans, but Moreland's no Cool Lester Smooth.) I would have thought Kima's devotion to Lester would overcome even her revulsion at the whole fraud.

One more thing: RIP, Snoop. Felicia Pearson, as always, amazed me in her final scene. Her composure was a nice reminder that she had no illusions: She'd seen enough to know that's how she'd probably end up eventually, and she seemed ready.

Finally, the preview for the finale certainly suggests that Baltimore now has a "copycat" serial killer, which may be a huge break for McNulty and the brass, not to mention Carcetti. Pinning the previous murders on the next nut is just the kind of out the B'more po-lice need now.

A lot to wrap up in an hour of television, but I've learned not to doubt Simon and Co.

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Wonderful episode. I loved Duquan's reference to the beginning of Season 4...and that Michael didn't remember it. Great portrayal of innocence lost, for all 4 characters.

Ever since Herc turned over that cell phone number I've had a bad feeling about him and Levy. I think they both get taken out in the finale.

Just like Avon, Marlo's had his time...it's Michael's time now. I gotta think O-Dog goes with him; he seems like one to question authority just like Michael. He wasn't happy to take the years like Savino did in season 1.
    I guess that's the inherent weakness in the Stanfield organization: loyalty to a chosen few. Bodie had them pegged pretty well. Outside of Marlo, Chris, Snoop and Monk (who I'm guessing came up together), everyone else is expendable-even the 'youngn's' they were training. Even Avon's crew had more loyalty from its subordinates; they treated Bodie and Poot far better than Marlo treated Old-Face Andre. However, Marlo was far more disciplined. Is a perfect balance achieveable in the drug game? Maybe the way Prop Joe handled it...but then again his loyalty to Cheese cost him his life.

Any thoughts on this?

9. Simon_Cowbell

I loved when Michael's final line to her was "You look good, girl."

You won't see too many females offed like that in your lifetime.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have always thought that Michael would become Avon and Dukie would become Stringer. Although it is insinuated that Dukie is not cut out for the street, when did you ever see Stringer directly involved in any kind of violence? He's the brains of the operation, while Michael is the leader/warrior.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen 58 or 59, so if I am contradicted by anything in those episodes, pretend I didn't say anything.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Finale is supposed to an hour and a half.
    Awesome
    This episode, I thought I was going to cry. I was watching the scene with Michael and Bug and Dukie and I thought I was just going to lose it.
    The look on Daniels face when Lester tells him the news about the drugs just after the mayor had been screaming to them about making a huge bust.
    As good as anything I have ever seen on television.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Does the entire Marlo bust get tossed because the cell number was obtained fraudulently?

Draft saved Draft deleted