1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 58

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Rawls' comments in this episode o
    I think the most we get on the bar scene is in tonights episode when he said even he liked a little kink.

2. I believe I read it in an interview or article about the show--that the original plan was to kill him off quick, but DS changed his mind.

3. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I read the same quote about Omar a few times. Michael K. Williams did a damn fine job & it paid off with the character development. He will be missed.

Damn, I wish I had On Demand. It sucks to wait a week to jump in these discussions!

I thought suicide for McNulty very early in the season. It's on one of the threads. I hope I'm wrong, but he is spiraling hardcore.

Big props to David Simon & the other writers. Who knew they were pegging Kenard to cap Omar way back in Season 3?

The penultimate episode is upon us & once again, George Pelecanos is the writer. Buckle up.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I thought the brief confrontation between Burrell and Rawls early this season felt like a shout-out to Rawls being gay: Burrell gave Rawls a very knowing look when they were talking in Burrell's office.

And of course there's "Rawls sucks cock" written on one of the bathrooms in homicide, if I'm not mistaken.

5. Mighty_Wingman

That's pretty interesting.

Re-watching the episode tonight, I was struck again by the way the tension built up in Omar's final scenes. I was on the edge of my seat the first time I watched it, just waiting for something bad to happen.

Also, we haven't discussed the Templeton-fraud angle...is Templeton lying about the homeless vet, or is he actually being honest for once?

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm thinking Templeton embellished the story of the homeless vet.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Getting the coffee/chocolate milk detail wrong was certainly a telling mark against Templeton.

One more thing I also forgot: Who's that playing the blowhard FBI guy? I assume it's one of the cameos for which the Wire is famous, but I don't think I recognize the guy. (And McNulty's line about the Unabomber's brother "ratting him out," allowing the FBI to break the case, was phenomenal.)

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

BTW, the whole Kenard/Omar foreshadowing thing flew right over my head. (Although his comments last week & the way Omar walked by him when he was torturing the cat gave me a bad feeling. If it was me, I would've poured lighter fluid on Kenard for messing with the cat. If only Omar was an animal lover...)

Anyway, I found out about it on Alan Sepinwall's blog recap:

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/02/wire-clarifications-kids-game.html

9. Mighty_Wingman

One more thing about the scene with Omar's body in the morgue: I was really surprised at how upset I was when it looked as if Omar was going to be buried under the wrong name. Just goes to show how deep the connection gets with this show and its characters...Stringer Bell, for example, is still a touchy subject with me.

10. Yup, Landsman read it while cleaning his tie - seconds before he found Bubs swinging from the lights.

11. The scene with the agents describing the killer was awesome. I laughed out loud for a good 30 seconds.

I think - well, I hope - that McNulty gets the Bunny Colvin treatment: the Brass find out about it and send McNulty on his way while keeping the fabrication secret so as to not embarass the department.

And isn't that Pooh/Pookie in the shoe store? Wasn't he just trying to save Bodie's life last season? It was weird to see him as a civilian. It's like he got it together in a short period of time.

12. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Yes, that was Poot in the shoe store.

Draft saved Draft deleted