1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 58

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

even if gus knew who omar was, that wasn't going to run. dead in the wrong zip code is how i believe they refer to that.

someone mentioned earlier that omar was living on borrowed time this season. shit, omar's been on borrowed time since season one. he greatly exceeded his life expectancy making it to 24, let alone 34. that was the only way for him to go. those that harp on the lack of realism in the episode have to credit simon for resisting the temptation to have omar go out in a battle. that woulda been tying things up with a bow. this? just putting them in a bag so you can carry everything to the car.

oh, and the omar ending was perfect. street legends don't go mainstream, and that made the point ultra-clear.

2. This episode never happened.

3. Isn't it true that Omar's character wasn't supposed to last this long - that Simon saw how well-liked he was and kept him around? Or was that Bubbles? I do know that happened to Snoop.

4. Omar was supposed to get killed in season one after 7 episodes.

5. That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

paying respect to omar ... his best scene ..

7. Can someone explain that last scene in the morgue? I didn't understand the significance of switching the name tags? Why was Omar's DOB wrong?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that?

It seems completely out of character for Simon to keep someone "around" because he was popular.

9. Sorry, maybe popular isn't the right word. What would be the word when you created a character that was too good to kill off?

10. Great episode. Best of season, by far. Does anybody know if the last episode is two hours; I've heard rumors that's the case. It seems impossible to touch on everything in two more hours. Even small stuff, like Rawls at the gay bar in season 3. I keep waiting for something to come of that, but it hasn't.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing will come out of the Rawls bar scene. Think of it as the Russian from The Pine Barrens episode in The Sopranos

12. I personally don't care if anything comes out of it. I think the scene stands on its own, and it was hardly a cliff-hanger like the Pine Barrens episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted