1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 58

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maybe the best of the limping season.

Lots of great Wire "red meat".

All of a sudden.... I have a cryptic feeling about McNulty... worse than him getting busted for all this.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I can't believe he did Omar like that.

Damn.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The whole episode had an old school season one vibe. It was great.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Great episode, but let's face it: I'm not happy. It might be a while before I'm going to be happy. Damn.

Damn.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You knew he was going to do it, but it still sucked HARD.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It was a fun episode and I still enjoy the show a great deal, but it has lost a little off its fastball. Don't get me wrong... I really enjoyed the episode, but the show is turning too cutesy in a lot of ways.

For example:

*spoilers*

the FBI agents describing McNulty when they did their profile was a bit too much, even if it was funny... Also, I liked the point it made, but the cameo by Poot working in the shoe store when Dookie was looking for a job, was a little too perfect. In past seasons, they would have somehow made the point way more subtly. There are too many things like that are tying up in a nice neat little bow this season and it is taking away a little of the authenticity for me. Another example was the detail Carver put together to follow Marlow's people; the two cops are sitting in their rental car and Omar walks up and gives them the tip to clear the corner. It just tied together the two story lines too neatly.

Unrelated:
    Does anyone else thing Kima is going to rat out McNulty and Lester?

Great "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" from Clay Davis, when he is sitting in Carcceti's office. Carcetti is one of my favorite characters. He nails that role. The newspaper stuff has seemed cliched, but perhaps that is because I know more about the newspaper business than I did about the corner, cops, schools, politicos, courts, etc. Do you think there are lawyers and cops sitting around watching the show thinking it is a cliche?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Slate or Salon did a piece on what cops and drug dealers think of the Wire.
    The general consensus was, from what I recall, that they nailed as best a TV show can.
    A lot of the critics have gotten hung up on the newspaper story line, since that's a world they know. Most of the non-newspaper types, think it is super-accurate.
    I think the show will end with McNulty/Lester taking down Omar/Chris/Snoop, busting down the drug trade and the whole red ribbon serial killer will just go away, lost in the hubbub of everything else. It means the show's real serial killer went down. Kima will be happy because it solves her triple homicide.
    Then, it will show the next line of people stepping up and taking over. Best guess is the kid running with Chris and Snoop. The teasers looked like he pulled the trigger on someone, probably Chris. Or rort of like the kid who pulled the trigger on Omar. And was that the same kid pouring the lighter fluid on the cat?

8. Simon_Cowbell

I think McNulty takes his own lead.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think it was the corner kid who gave Dukie a hard time a few episodes before.

What was with the card switch in the morgue? And Omar was 47?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Omar was 34

11. part-timer

part-timer Member

The other guy looked Egyptian or something and he was probably another Omar Little. What are the odds?

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Now that was The Wire I've come to love. Damn. Great episode.

Sucks to see Omar leave us, but he was living on borrowed time since he jumped out that window, and that was the way he had to go. No shootout with Marlo, just bang to the head from a kid he never thought twice about. And not even worth a brief.
    Yeah, the profiler giving us a profile of McNulty was a little cute. But it was funny and true to the show. And a step in McNulty's process of self-realization.
    That led us to that phenomenal scene with Beadie at the end. God, I was almost in tears for the guy. And she's a great actress.
    And Carcetti manages to persistently be the most frustrating character imaginable. Magnetizing and inspiring, yet so craven and hollow. It's like he tries to do the right thing in spite of himself. Of course, what can he do? And I guess that's the point.
    And I wonder if Kima's going to turn on them. She's got principles. But she's a loyal cop, and snitching on Lester and McNulty seems like it would go against her code. My guess is something else happens first.

Draft saved Draft deleted