1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 57

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

They're names for different editions of the paper that have different deadlines. Papers call them different things, but on the show he's referencing trying to get stories done in time for a certain edition.

If you look at a newspaper, you'll often see little dots or stars in the top margins. More icons usually means a later edition, so you'd likely find the most icons in downtown editions.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Thanks Arnold.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Interesting. I didn't see the previews, but that would seem odd because it seemed like Scott really did work that story and I thought that was a good move. You wouldn't even get to where he is at the Baltimore Sun by making shit up. There has to be some ability there. It's much more believable that he is making up things here and there to try to hit it out of the park and get more attention, but there still needs to be a rudimentary ability to churn out decent copy now and then.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Never seen Dr. Strangelove, but this season definitely has a different feel than the previous ones. The show is still captivating, and it's probably not fair to judge before the conclusion, but it hasn't had that same feel as the others. It won't diminish a thing about the series for me, I'll just wish they could have maybe made Season 4 a few eps longer and wrapped stuff up and gone out with the greatest season in TV history.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

OK, I don't have HBO, have never seen the show and only vaguely know what it's about.

Is there any way to see full episodes online? Obviously he's not going to be in a highlight clip.

I chatted with my uncle earlier tonight and he tells me he has a speaking part in Sunday's ep, which is why I ask. Failing the online thing, can someone just tell me if he does a good job?

I couldn't find any pics of him online, but here's some of his previous stuff:
    (West Wing; he's standing up to ask a question at 2:07)

OK, I can't find much else. He was an assistant coach in The Replacements, among other things.

Thanks in advance for the help!

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Ok i know there will be a new thread soon but... I just found out my uncle plays andy smith. He is the slot guy on the sun desk.

7. what a fucked up season. Not believeable but nerve-racking all the same. Some real good scenes all the same.

Question: Does Landsmen not believe there's a serial killer?

Question 2: Am I the only one rooting against Scott but for McNulty?

8. He comes on with about two minutes left ... Gus finishes reading the Clay Davis "not only playing the race card but the whole deck" story ... can barely make out what your uncle says. I think he says, "I'm in it, thank you."

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Good question. If he's been paying any attention, he'd have to think something was up. But after watching his character over four-plus season I think he probably doesn't care either way. As he said, Jimmy turned on the tap and they're doing real police work again.

Great little bit on NPR this morning about how Richard Belzer has now played the same character, Munch, in eight separate television series. What a career.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think Landsman only cares about two things: turning the red homicides into black and saving his ass. He's the ultimate mid management fuck. No authority but lots of responsibility.

Irish, just out of curiosity, what are the eight series Belzer has played in?

Homicide
    L&O
    Wire

Have no clue after that.

11. part-timer

part-timer Member

Homicide
    L&O
    L&O SVU
    L&O CI (?)
    The Wire
    The X-Files
    Arrested Development
    The Beat

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just wanted to clear something up that was asked earlier in this thread:

Those blue lights are cameras that run constantly and flash all the time, not when a crime is supposed being committed. As much as it being a camera to record crimes, it's also a deterrent. You don't commit crimes in an area where there is constant video surveillance, so police put them up in areas where drug dealing is occurring. The footage is stored for 30 days, then dumped, and police say crime drops and they're able to make more arrests.

http://www.rajivshah.com/camera/archives/2006/07/baltimore_exper.html

However, some people argue that it makes property values take a hit because it's like a flashing blue sign that's saying "CRIME IS HERE! CRIME IS HERE!" As anyone who has ever been in an urban city can attest, the difference between a nice neighborhood and a bad neighborhood is sometimes just one block or one alley.

I thought the scene with Kima and Elijah was very touching, if not a touch maudlin, but it's also ripped straight from Clockers, which is ok because Richard Price wrote the episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted