1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 57

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Don't forget that Scott did get the legit story about the Iraq vet. I think that was an important thing to add -- he's not a complete hack, just too lazy and more concerned with getting a perfect story than actually doing the legwork required.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't want to totally kill this... and I have no idea what happens in 58, but did you watch the previews for next week? I may be wrong, but didn't they show clips of the Iraq vet confronting Augustus and Templeton about something?

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

58 SPOILER below....

Yes.

(this may be in need of paraphrase, but here goes...)

Templeton: "Can I give my side of the story?"

Vet: "There are no sides to a story when it's a lie"

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A note: Billy Murphy, who was Clay Davis' attorney, is a real lawyer in Baltimore. He played himself and the character on TV is his real persona. He makes Cochran look like a 1st year law student. A shiftless mutha fucka, if there ever was one. His father was the 1st black man to be judge in Baltimore City. A great guy, relaxed, easy going, soft spoken but a very good and well respected judge. Billy is the epitome of an urban defense attorney.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I wondered if that was the case. He didn't seem like an actor, and the ponytail struck me as an odd affectation for them to give an attorney.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

The bit with Clay Davis on trial was great....that may have been his finest moment on the show (it even topped his scene with Mayor Royce in the fourth season, right after Sydnor served him).

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If anything, the little teasers have proven to be lss than accurate.
    Last week's made it look like McNulty was panicing and he wasn't.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Clay Davis trial was funny, but it didn't seem realistic. It happened too quickly and there is no way he goes off on those tangents on the stand without even a halfway decent prosecutor getting apoplectic and objecting. The way they just sat there was way too sheeplike.

9. I could buy into the preview being a curveball. Remember the story about the vet is the one where Scott actually tried to do his due diliegence, and it's also the one Gus liked best.

Maybe the vet comes forward with some crazy claims of inaccuracies and gets shot down, thus legitimizing Scott's fraudulent body of work when Gus tries to make claims about other stories.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Maybe the vet is taking issue with Scott's story they were talking about this week, about how he knows the homeless because he walks among them and all that. Could be the vet is calling bullshit on that.

11. Dedo

Dedo Member

Another wild guess -- the vet knew the real Nathan Levi Boston (the "Satan walks among us" guy), and knows he wasn't stroking his kid's blond hair worried about the serial killer the way Templeton depicted him.

And again, I'm holding out hope for the final three, but right now, Season 5 is looking like David Simon's version of "Dr. Strangelove." Smart and entertaining? Sure. But mainly as a satirical farce.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The Munch cameo was fun but distracting, I thought.

The Wire has always been about 'the game', and this season feels like people are trying to break the rules of the game and things are spinning out of control. As for Omar, I think his code says that anyone that would do Marlow's bidding is guilty, whether they were the ones called on or not. They are extensions of Marlow's will.

Question for you all though. Can someone translate "e dot and double dot editions" for a layperson?

Draft saved Draft deleted