1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 56

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I can definately see some co-op members rising up. Prop Joe held them alltogether. I think its a testament to his way with people that it held together as long as it did. Now, its everybody for himself--maybe not right away but it will happen.

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Nick and Ziggy are not friends, they are cousins, their fathers are brothers.

The building being revitalized is the grain pier, which was what the union was trying to save from closing in season 2.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Watching season five without seeing the earlier ones is like reading the last chapter of a novel first.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think it was implied that most of his gang were functionally illiterate - "products of the Baltimore public school system" was the euphemism.

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Didn't think it was such an awful episode. Just that most seasons The Wire seems to slow down in mid-season, and I think we're in that phase right now.
    I liked how Bunk started working the 22 bodies for real, and was making more headway than McNulty is by faking the homeless murders, but, at the same time, is jammed up by them.
    I liked how when Scotty McFucknut, boy reporter, actually works a story (which is what it seems he did with the homeless vet) it turns out good.
    I liked how we got a flash of Carcetti's old passion, and the old-hand aide was inspired once again and the new-bent-on-getting-Carcetti-elected-governor aide saw it as a political opening.
    And, of course, I liked seeing Nicky Sobotka again, though I was wondering if he's still in witness protection, or what?

6. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

That's what I was thinking: I thought Nick was in the Witness Protection program. Why would he pop out just for this?

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

From Mr. Sepinwall:

Full story:
    http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/02/wire-dickensian-aspect-those-left.html

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think dissatisfaction comes from it being the midpoint, just like any midpoint, the thrill of the start is gone and the end seems a ways off. I'm sure its going to pick up steam, just like the other seasons.

Omar simply breaking an ankle is highly unlikely. Funny though how he's got nobody left, what about those who helped him pull that heist on the Greeks? The old-timer is gone but I thought there were others available (how about that woman who hiked her skirt up?).

That Bunk/McNulty contrast is nice. The homeless guy angle reeked of such desperation that wifey and I were at the point of being sickened by McNulty.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think Omar specifically said that his people weren't to get involved .. that it was "on him".

Draft saved Draft deleted