1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 56

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Feb 4, 2008.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Call me an idiot but what scene was Mr. Sobotka in?

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He was the guy heckling at the Waterfront press conference.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Ah so that's who that was. Thanks for telling me and it would be nice to see Ziggy come back to since so many other characters have been back. Maybe they will be the one who talks to the cops about the greeks and that may be how they take down Marlo and his crew.

Also did anyone think it was strange how Marlo is giving out order's using a photo on the blackberry?

4. e4

e4 Member

is it photo or video?

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Photos.

And I think Ziggy is in prison for a very long time.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

This is the first season I have seen, so can someone please enlighten me as to why the Ziggy character was so pissed at the mayor? Did he used to work on the docks?

7. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Ziggy did work on the docks, but the character in question is Nick Sobotka. The dock was a big story in I believe season 2 of the show. This is also the same season we got introduced to the Greeks.

8. ArnoldBabar

That was actually Nicky, Ziggy's best friend. Season 2 took place on the docks, and they were main characters. A lot of it centered around the death of that way of life.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

And he was upset because the area was being revitalized--right. Not to segue, but how big a role does the port play in Baltimore? I think New York as a port ceased being relevant 40 years ago. I can't imagine that B-More held on that much longer?

10. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

B-more held on a lot longer, but tourism has won out there.

Loved the scene with Randy-him pushing that smaller kid out of his way on the staircase illustrated brilliantly how much he'd changed.

As for Templeton's piece on the homeless vet, I think it's a story he actually did on the up-and-up. Gus complimented him on not overwriting the story, which he tends to do when he's making stuff up.

Still hard to believe Omar's fall- Spider Man shit indeed. He's gotta die soon...but I wonder if he's inspiring the remaining co-op members to rise up against Marlo. Someone in that group has to show some backbone, especially since they know what the deal is.

11. ArnoldBabar

Yeah, the second season was about the death of the port and that way of life, how it plays a part in the drug trade, and how the forward march of progress was threatening to swallow the industrial port area. The decrepit building that was shown that was going to be "revitalized" was the backdrop of where Nicky and Ziggy lived.

12. ArnoldBabar

Seems like Omar's only hope is to get backup from the fucked-over co-op members. Marlo was declaring that the co-op era was over and that it was back to business as usual, with him as kingpin.

I really hope Slim Charles lines up with Omar. Those two, Bubs, Dookie and possibly Chris are the only ones from the street I really want to see surviving in the end. And fuck Cheese -- I don't want to live in a world where Bodie dies and Cheese lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted